Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local gun store started asking for my phone number whenever I make a purchase. Cabelas did this too. I decline and usually say "No Thank You". Bought some supplies today and the two young black ladies at the checkout asked for my phone number. I just winked and said "No, I'm a protestor and I don't want to be tracked". They looked at each other then one nodded to the other and said "OK". They took my cash and said "Have a nice day". Too funny. I wonder if they thought this white haired ol' timmer was for real.

·
Super Moderator
10,879 Posts
I do not believe asking for a phone number is solely or specifically applicable to the Gun Store. In my experience, every auto parts store, retail drug store, hardware store, nail salon (spouse), knitting shop (spouse), take out restaurant, and grocery store (to name only a few) ask for it too.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
The stores I shop at will ask for a number to help with a return if you don't have the receipt, they also use it for lifetime warranty returns at my auto shop, depending on what and where I shop at I'll give it to them or not.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Many chain stores that have some sort of "customer appreciation" program track your purchases by phone number. Tractor Supply, Harbor Freight, OReilly, and Auto Zone come to mind immediately. It's far easier than keeping a bunch of those old plastic membership cards around, and never having them when you want them. You don't have to give a number, but if you do, you supposedly get a discount down the road after XX in purchases. At Auto Zone, it's also very helpful for tracking when you bought what battery, for warranty purposes.

·
Administrator
26,058 Posts
Advance auto parts uses phone number as an account number. Rather than asking name they ask for phone number and that's how they pull up your account with them. Walgreen's uses it for tracking your discount points if you don't have your discount card with you but if you do they don't need the phone number.

Other than that the only time anyone has asked for a phone number is when paying by check.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Too much tracking going on. Caveat Emptor, Gentlemen.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes. I had forgotten about that one until last night. The song came on the radio while we were driving back from having dinner in town. I had to explain it to my son. He thought it was funny. Wife and I sang it loud and had a good time.

Here it is for anyone under 40:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts