Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a poor boy and sure can't afford Corbin prices.

Does the C-H stuff do a decent job? Does it offer significant advantages over casting? Could brass or aluminum (I can make them myself) be substituted for those zinc washers? Can the half jacketed dies be used to make unjacketed bullets? (Yeah, I know velocity would be severely limited.)

Are there reasons I should start swaging? Are there reasons I should not?

·
Registered
436 Posts
:D Hello Leftoverdj,

You will not save any money by swaging, what money you doe save is eat up in labor plus more. You should only get into swaging if you love to make bullets other wise buy them. If you cannot afford Corbin prices, even Richard’s prices then don’t get started because they are the lowest prices around. If you want to get stated on a shoe string budget then go to ebay (Item # 3604043028) and get one of those Mity-Mite presses and go from there. But if you don’t like the time that swaging requires then you will not like swaging.

I have a C-H press to sell for $100.00 but I don't know anyone that makes dies for it and frankly I won’t want them. I’m happy with my S-press by Corbin (Dave) but I do like Richard’s Walnut Hill press better. :wink:

Donna 8)

·
Registered
978 Posts
C&H dies

Hello leftoverdj; :D
I used to own some of the C&H dies that you were asking about. they were in the 38 cal and 444 cal. the 444 were special order. The prices are a lot cheaper than Corbins. I have Corbins as well, so I`m not trying to slight anybody.
They (C&H) still make the dies, and if you go to a search engine on you computor you should be able to find them. If I can find my old stuff I will let you know where its at. There complete dies run around $109.00. Thats pretty cheap. You are like me when I first started out and couldn`t afford the more expensive stuff. I been there. It`s a two die set that will fit in you reloading press. The machine work is very good. Are they as good as Corbin? No. Will they do the job for you? Yes. You will still need a source of lead cores for the copper cup`s as well as copper cups. I might add that you watch e-bay alot and search for bullet swaging. about once a week, someone will sell swaging stuff on there and you never know if its going to be Corbin or C&H. I also recommend that you view all the posting in Greadbeards, this site for a lot of good reading and where to go to different sites.
As far as saving money makeing your own bullets, sometimes you will depends on the calibur. For instance, a while back Midway arms. was selling 38-357 , 158 grain, jacketed hollow point bullets for $35.00 per thousand. I couldn`t make them that cheap, so I bought a couple of thousand of em. But on the other hand I can make my own .429 bullets for my 444 Marlin lever action rifle cheaper than I can buy the finished product. Another advante of makeing you own, is, for instance, I make my own bullets for my .375 Marlin lever action, which I cannot find anywhere except if they have a speical run, once in a great while.
So in essence weigh all the advantages, and go for it. Its fun and relaxing hobby.
bullet maker :D

·
Registered
978 Posts
C&H dies

Hi leftoverKJ; :D
I went back in my rat den and found some of the iterature for you.
The C&H web site is: www.ch4d.com There phone no. is (740)397-7214.
If you go to there web site. you can down load anything you want.
Have a good day.
bullet maker :D

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Hi, LeftoverKJ,
Yes, you can make lead only bullets with those CH dies, but you'll need to figure out a way to lub them. I use one of Corbin's 'waffel' cannaleur machines.
Too, you can look into Corbin's brass base guards to make "replacements" for the zinc washers you mentioned. Of course, you will need an additional internal punch with a small indent in it to form the rivit to the base guard. As far as AL is concerned, it's been tried and apparently doesn't work very well. Corbin comments on it in one of his many writtings.
I've a few kindly used CH 2-die sets for .38/.357 and .451, along with some optional power extractors, and plenty of 1/2 jackets (Hurters I think) for anyone who is interested. I got them before switching to the Corbon system. Before e-mailing, be sure you can get your own cores. 8)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Bullet maker, Thanks for the info. on the C&H dies, I didn’t know that.
:D
Leftoverdj, I was not trying to talk you out of swaging, I just did not want you going into it with the wrong idea and then being dishearted :cry: wishing you had never gotten into it. I love :-D swaging and reloading, just wish I had a garage so I could have a lathe to make my own cases and a section to make my own primers too, with the proper licensing of course. Being 100% self sufficient in ammunition what a way to hunt.

When you get the press and die set let us know what it was like making your first bullet. It was a real rush for me, me making bullets, that was as slick as sliced bread. :wink:

Donna

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the answers, folks.

I'm a far gone caster and have been for 40 years so I know all about the joys of making your own bullets. I've even swaged a few using homebrew mallet operated dies to turn 0 buckshot into .252 bullets for an old .25 Stevens. Messing with another set to make .410 slugs.

For now, it seems to make more sense for me to buy what few jacketed bullets I need. I'll stick around and pick up more knowlege. Might chime in from time to time when the subject is within the competence of a practical tinkerer since I have the space and lathe that Donna lusts for. (Fair warning for Donna: Swaging CAN"T be any more addictive than having a lathe, even an old junk one picked up at a yard sale.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.