Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I sold a few of my concrete 1841 six pounders to the Texas Renaissance Festival. They went on board a pirate ship.

The same folks contacted me a few months ago. They had a PVC pipe contraption that you could hook an air hose to and shoot tennis balls. It was about 16" long. The tennis balls were a simple pressure fit in the mouth of this unit.

They asked me is I could figure a way to mount it in a cannon and make it look real.

;D ;D ;D ;D
Of coarse I could!

Carronades with trunnions! Or gunades if you prefer.

They turned out pretty cool.
This is a full scale 12 pounder barrel. There is one very similar to it mounted on a stone pedestal at the Alamo.

I just finished these. They will be picked up next week.

These guns are fired by pulling on the lanyard you see wrapped around the cascabel. That opens a valve in the barrel that releases the air.

There is an air line coming out underneath the barrel that you hook compressed air to with a regulator.

I haven't seen these work yet but my customer says the PVC unit works.
I just made it look good.

Here are some pictures of the finished product.
I'll post some pictures of the innards later.
Zulu

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Michael, I love your tennis ball carronades! They are very nice, indeed. They look so powerful and menacing! We have seen your shop twice now and we know how you create some of the nicest cannons anywhere, but what I can't figure out is how you removed all that fuzz from those tennis balls before you painted them cannon ball, black. ::) Did you buy a WAHL, Kennel Pro Pet Clipper Kit with a 4,000 strokes a minute, Power Trimmer? I saw one of their ads recently and they guarantee "Bald as a Cueball!"

Beautiful cannons, Michael.

Tracy

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
moose53 said:
That is cool 8) of course you have to have a video of it shooting !!
plus 1

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Does the air hose connect through the bottom of the tube? Does the tank hide in the carriage or is the else where?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The air hose connects to a fitting in the rear of the PVC unit. It then exits out a hole in the underneath side of the barrel where it can be attached to an air supply.

The PVC unit in the pictures above is the only thing inside the barrel.

Zulu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts