Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 08:03 opening morning I put this one down with my 38-55 TC!! ;D That 265 gr. jacketed bullet liquified everything in it's path! :eek:

The pic is from my trail camara taken the day before opening day. Besides this fellow I had a spike, 4 and 6 pointer around my stand that day.

The 45-120 tryed to get in the truck this morning but it's the M73's turn next! ;) More pics later... I have to sneek away from deer camp to get to a computer. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
Re: The 38-55 WILL kill a deer!

Backstraps! Way to go Richard.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

Way to kick off the season! It's cool hunting with the old nostalgic cartridges, especially when you make meat and the other folks in camp are using the latest new short fat super duper wiz bang cartridges!

Congrats Richard!

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

·
Registered
272 Posts

Way to go Richard, I guess those ole cheap single shots will kill a deer, they make fun of me here about my Handi-Rifles, those young guys shooting single shot high priced T/C's. hope you have a great season, RO

·
Registered
186 Posts
BUT..........not sure about that 45/120

Hey Richard,

You may be better off to stick with that 38/55. Not sure if that 500 gr. 45/120 would take one of our big Georgia deer. Surely if you did try to shoot one, you would wait for a really close broadside shot so as not to ask to much from the '120. Still not sure about the on game performance since I have never even heard of anyone shooting a deer with such a round. Hurry up and get all the rifles ahead of it a deer so that we can all see for sure if that is indeed a worthy cartridge. If it can kill one, I may even ream my little bitty 45/70 up to a 120. Man, I DO love those big bores !! Good hunting and shooting, of course I would expect nothing less from another good ol Georgia boy !!

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts

Way to go Richard! Glad to hear ya took the ole girl out to the dance. As was stated, (Lawyer talk,) we need to know the facts on what was loaded. DP

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Thanks guys! ;D :-\ Well mostly thanks... :( Some a y'all just can't miss an opportunity to make fun a the ol' man... :-[ Y'all should be glad I'm good natured! :D

I'm looking for does now, but I had a buck doggin a doe this morning. They turned off the trail about 30 yards away and I couldn't get a shot. Ima gonna take the 45-120 out this evening. I hate trackin deer in the dark! ;D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.