Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out today and sighted my 243 SPS with 100 grain Winchester Super X Power Points. There were 5 other guys there at the range with me. I just bore sighted with looking down the bore and centering it on the target at 100 yards. I had some left over Hornady 58 grain VMax from Groundhog season. I used them to get on paper at 100 yards. I just put a new scope on this rifle for deer season. I put a Bushnell 4x12x40 Sportsman on it. Well my first shot was 2'' high and 6'' right. With this being a cheaper scope I wondered how close the 1/4'' clicks were going to be. I have to say they are right on because I went 24 clicks left and it was dead center of the target. This is where I blew the other shooters minds. I fired 2 more shots the first of the 2 went almost in the same hole as the first. It made the hole just a little oblong. The 3rd shot was less than a 1/4'' away. These guys said boy that rifle really shoots huh. I said yes and told them about the groups I shot here this summer that measured 7/8'' at 300 yards. They asked if they were hand loads and I told them that they weren't and they said that is some incredible shooting for factory loads. I then tried the Winchester 100 grain rounds at 100 yards. Here is the strange thing. At 100 yards they were shooting about an inch higher than the 58 grain. You would think that they would shoot lower but didn't. I then shot the target at 200 yards and was 1'' high and 1'' right. I have it dialed in now at 200 yards and should be about 7'' low at 300 yards. I don't plan on shooting anything further than that because the energy of the round drops below 1,000 lbs past that. Anyways I hope to get my first deer on Monday. Dale

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
Good luck Dale, all that's left to do is make some meat!!! ;)

(And take a new pic for your signature line!! ;D)

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Sounds like you are ready.Good luck Dale,and get a nice one!

·
3,203 Posts
Yep, all that should be left to do is show us the pics, tell us the story and decide what recipes to use for that fresh meat you are going to collect. Good luck.

Long

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guy's I sure hope so. I just got the camera ready a few minutes ago. Dale

·
Registered
749 Posts
Dale
Good luck to you Buddy.  Remember don't touch that power ring the last thing the forum need now is one more sad story about spastic scopes and deer that don't follow the rules and nobody loves me.

You be safe make meat and post pictures  I'am looking forward to it

Foggy

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The guy I am going with is also a member of this forum. I have to drive 72 miles to get to his place but he says there are a lot of deer there. He also knows where they are and their patterns. He seems to think the best thing to do is at first light go out behind his house. He says there is a field out there and the other hunters comming into the woods will drive them down to that field. Sounds good to me hope it works. Dale

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
Dale, just remember, broadside shots, just behind the shoulder, no shoulder shots, please. ;)

Good luck,

Tim

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been looking around on the net this morning for the proper shot placement on Deer. Here is a pretty good link on such. http://www.rubsnscrapes.com/Articles/shot_placement_anatomy.php I just want to be sure that if given the opportunity I can make the clean shot for a humane kill. This especially holds true seeing as I am using the 243. I will keep my shots under 300 yards because the energy of the bullet drops off below 1,000 lbs much past that. I am very confodent of shots out that far. I have killed many Groundhogs way past that this summer. I have even shot a few Crows out past 300 yards. So if given the chance I am sure I can put some meat in the frezzer. Dale

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
I never would have guessed that an SPS would be that accurate out of the box. Did you do anything to it? You've got yourself a real nice rifle, good luck hunting!

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No the only thing I did to it was polish the bore real well with Flitz. Here is a picture of one of my 300 yard targets. The 3 shot group measures 7/8'' using Hornady 58 grain VMax ammo.
Dale

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Dale...

For shot placement with a firearm.... I almost always go for the boiler room and have yet to lose a deer. Only on a very rare occasion will I even consider anything different. In fact, only two of my deer were ever harvested without going for the vitals. One was a close range neck shot with a .44mag revolver. This doe dropped in her tracks. The other was a cull buck, spine shot from a tree stand with a bow. Although successful, this was one shot I would like to take back if I only could. This was a BAD choice on my part.

I try to think in 3D when drawing down on game. I think to myself... where's the heart and how do I get there? As ethical hunters, we owe it to the game we're after to delivery an accurate shot for a humane harvest. Equipment set up is only part of it. Your rifle is a true shooter, no doubt about that. The rest is up to you.

I'll be leaving in about a half hour for an evening hunt on a new area we have access to. Saw good numbers yesterday, but nothing in range of the .50 smoke pole. With the winds we're having today, and with all the hammering they've faced through rifle season, they probably won't be moving until close to sun down. But you can't fill the freezer while sitting on the couch... ;)

Good luck to ya, buddy!!! Stay safe and I hope you enjoy a successful hunt!!!

Dan

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well guy's I am off to meet my hunting partner. I will be spending the night there. I will let you guy's know how things go tomorrow night when I get home. Dale

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I did not get one today. I did get very wet and cold though. It rained here all day and we called it a day pretty early on account of the rain. We did see one doe this morning. He popped out into the field we were in. May be 40 yards away. He ran straight for the road. We did not fire on it because of the road. Oh well better luck next time. Dale

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another thing that happened today was I was checking out my partners Rem.7600 in the 270. That is what he is hunting with. The trigger on it is probably the worst I have ever felt. It was mushy with a ton of creep. I find it hard to believe these rifles leave the factory like this. Dale

·
Administrator
26,165 Posts
Doe=she. ???

Buck=he. 8)

Real hunters brave the weather and don't let it affect how long they stay afield.

Me I'm a wooze and don't even go on rainy days anymore. ;D Long years ago I decided I do this for fun not food so if it's not fun I don't do it. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
I'm gettin like Bill, it's not as easy to spend the day hunting in the rain, but when I was your age Dale, I hunted rain or shine, daylight to dusk, here in Washington on the wet side, you won't get to hunt much if you don't go prepared to hunt in the rain. ;)

Tim

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Graybeard said:
Doe=she. ???

Buck=he. 8)

Real hunters brave the weather and don't let it affect how long they stay afield.

Me I'm a wooze and don't even go on rainy days anymore. ;D Long years ago I decided I do this for fun not food so if it's not fun I don't do it. :eek:
GB consider me a wooze then. All I know I stood out there in the pouring down rain for hours and was drenched to the bone. I was very cold when I came in. Dale

1 - 20 of 22 Posts