Graybeard Outdoors banner

241 - 260 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Definitely Kewpie worthy!

How long did you hang around after the spectators arrived to admire your work?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well done, indeed! The faux trunnions are especially praiseworthy for their innovative design and superb craftsmanship. Sure hope they anchor that carriage to the ground to discourage some idiot from pulling up and towing it away behind a truck, just for spite.

·
7,034 Posts
The cannon, which was previously thought to weigh 18 pounds, actually weighs 16 pounds, according to experts who helped restore the cannon. And yes, it's blue.--NEWS4SA

And to think that people rely on these morons for accurate news.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
After moving my truck and trailer out of the way, we hung around about 2 hours looking at things there.
The trunnion collar worked exactly as planned.
The forklift was big enough.
And yes, news reporters are generally idiots when it comes to facts.

Double D, thanks for the Kewpie! It has a place of honor on my Kewpie shelf.

Zulu

·
7,034 Posts
And waiting for the rain. : - (

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
And waiting for the rain. : - (

The rain certainly is an issue but the San Antonio sun will beat on this thing pretty hard.:tango_face_crying: There is a plan to move it into a new building when it gets built but that will be years. I told them to be sure to have a door that is bigger than 91" wide or it won't fit inside.

Zulu

·
7,034 Posts
Maybe they could simply put up a temporary roof over it as it stands. That would help a lot and not cost too much.

·
7,034 Posts
At least they got the 16 pounder part right. It looks like they went to the trouble of leveling the bore. Is it downgrade to the muzzle so that rain water will not pool in the bore?

·
Registered
151 Posts
When all the thought, planning and execution comes together the result is very gradifying. The Alamo has always been on my bucket list but it just moved to the top. Great piece of work.

·
Super Moderator
16,321 Posts
I shared the highlights of ths post over on British Militaria Forum. There was a lot of interest in the bracket holding the barrel. One fellow is connected to the restoration of the forts and cannon in Oman. They have welding new trunnion on, for their restorations.

241 - 260 of 281 Posts