Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
If you think those are good, try the earlier long action Models. My favorite are the New Centuries and the N frame Hand Ejectors, preferably in 45 ACP but my NC is 455.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Nice looking guns, I have S/W in 357, but my favorite is my Colt Trooper MK.III in 357.

·
2,622 Posts
I like your taste in revolvers...:)

One of my favorite .357's is a 1963 4 inch Highway Patrolman. Tight and accurate, with some honest wear.

Larry

Reactions: Winchester94

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am a long time member of the SWCA (Smith and Wesson Collectors Association).

I own a bunch of the pre-27, 27, and the 27-1.

We have the 50th Anniversary of the Club this September in Tulsa, OK. The first one was in Tulsa.

I have a pair of these 1973 Texas Ranger 19-3 with the matching box and Bowie knife (designed by Blackie Collins).

Yes, I do carry the one on the right with the Bowie knife.

I own twelve early builds in .357 Mag, and fire every one of them as my ammo allows.

I have not bought a new revolver at all since 1975.

·
23,757 Posts
never was a big 357 fan. Always condidered it a noisy 38 special. Make mine a 15 or if i want to make noise a 29. Guys on here know im a big handgunner but probably dont realize a 357 has never stayed more then 6 months in this house. It would take a crazy good deal to bring another one in.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Here is the immediate forerunner to the 357 and an adjustable sighted version (the Outdoorsman) was used by Phil Sharpe to develop the cartridge that became the 357.

My Heavy Duty,

Kevin

·
Registered
20 Posts
Earliest I've owned was a model 19-5 (2.5"), but it was still really nice. Trigger was fantastic, almost too crisp and light. Best trigger I've shot on on any firearm period. Bluing was beautiful, and it had sights that were easy to use and i was reasonably accurate with.

But I didn't enjoy it and never could figure out why. It was in all respects a fantastic gun, but it didn't speak to me. Maybe it was the slightly taller frame, the slightly lower weight, or even the fact that I obsessed about scratching it, but my Ruger sp101 3" with a much worse trigger and sights that charitably can be described as rudimentary was always the one I picked up to shoot. And while I loved taking the smith out and looking at it, it wasn't paying rent or doing work so it had to go.

My father in law left me a model 10 (another snubby, 38 not 357 but it's a cousin at least) that I still need to pick up, but it doesn't speak to me either. I sorta loathe it to be honest, way too much frame and the sights again are not great, and it's not nearly as nice as the model 19 I sold. Will keep it to see if my wife likes shooting it, she's recoil sensitive so the bigger frame might help her out.

·
23,757 Posts
I would say if the prices wouldnt have gone nuts on K frames a 4 inch 19 would make a good woods bumming gun and probably my favorite 357 of all time. Just cant warm up to L frame 357s and sure wouldnt want an N frame. But really for what id use a 19 for my 2 15s do the same thing. Never was a supporter of the 357 for big game. I shot a couple deer with the 357. One with a python i had for a while and found i like the K frames better and one with a gp100 that is about like a giant heavy baby rattle. Wasnt impressed with the performance. Real deer hunting revolvers have a 4 in the caliber. but all that said a K frame be it a 19 or 15 loaded with light 38s is still a blast at the range rolling cans and shooting steel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like your taste in revolvers...:)

One of my favorite .357's is a 1963 4 inch Highway Patrolman. Tight and accurate, with some honest wear.Larry
Yes,
I see one picture is factory correct while the other picture has the extra Tyler grips.
When firing on target with hot .357 rounds, I like the extra control provided by the Tyler grips. They were an extra $15 gun store option in 1963.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts