Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have to worry about another holster for my .380 Bodyguard. It's fine in its pocket holster stuck in my right front pocket. It is a perfect example of ease of carry, as simple as putting your wallet in your pants and just as comfortable.

But I have been wanting to carry my 45 Shield more and more lately. Right now I'm using a DeSantis Slim Tuc in an "inside the belt" carry rather then the designed for IWB mode. That may sound strange, but having been raised on wheel guns, I have never been a fan of IWB carry for comfort reasons. Of course, having finally accepted that autoloaders are not just a passing fad :tango_face_wink: and getting a couple for EDC, I like the idea of thin holster tight against the body.

In the Slim Tuc and carried inside the belt in the 3 o'clock location, that holster does fine for a while; I almost forget it's there. Hi-ebber, and day is always a hi-ebber, :tango_face_grin: after a while the bottom of the grip (magazine) starts rubbing a hole in my side. :tango_face_sad: This seems to be caused by the holster canting inward which puts the grip area angled in toward my body. :tango_face_plain:

The angle at which the holster rides is also the cause of my second problem. It is very difficult to re-holster the pistol with the opening pushed into my side. :tango_face_sad:

I'm going to continue using the Slim Tuc, albeit the way it was intended (IWB), and I'm also going to try positioning it in different locations. i.e. small of the back, 1 o'clock and cross draw. Maybe I can find a position that corrects the two problems I've had.

I've also been looking at the DeSantis Intruder and the Crossbreed MiniTuck as possible replacements. Does anyone have any experience with these? :confused:

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Yeah I suppose everyone has a box full of holsters laying around that they don't use anymore, because they are just not right. A number of years ago I bought a supertuck for my XD 45, and liked it a lot. So I then bought one for my 1911, then I bought one for my Sp101. All of these carry comfortably, even the full size 1911 loaded with a magazine full of 230 grain rounds.
When I bought my shield 9mm, of coarse I bought a Minituck for it. A year or so ago I bought a 45 shield, and the 45 fits the minituck I had bought for the 9mm shield.
So basically my search for the right holster has ended, because I like the crossbread holsters well enough to stop looking for something else. I like the fact that the crossbreed holster clips can be adjusted for ride height, and for cant. For the money I personally don't think the crossbreed holsters can be beat. They are not pretty by any sense of the imagination, but I think they are very functional. If there is one thing I don't like about IWB holsters, is that you have to have pants that are a size or so bigger than your waist, to accommodate the holster and firearm. Another great thing about the Crossbreed holsters is, if you buy one and don't like it, you can return it for a full refund.

BTW, I just love the 45 shield. I didn't get the performance model, but saw one in a local gun shop that had the night sights, and I bought it. I wish S&W would have come out with the 45 first. I would probably have never bought the 9.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
I don't have one, but from what most people say the Crossbreed, or other similar brands, are probably the most comfortable of the IWB holster styles.

The reason I don't have one is I prefer something simpler - something that's easy on and off, and doesn't wrap halfway around your body!

My lifestyle now is such that I very rarely carry IWB for more than a few hours at a time (going shopping, going out to eat, etc) so I can put up with a little discomfort for a while. The most comfortable thing I've done is lose a little weight! Now there's sufficient room in the waistband of my pants, and I don't have so much "flab" for the pistol/holster to dig into!

And living up north allows me to carry OWB for a good portion of the year as I'll be wearing sufficient layers to hide it.

Maybe someday all of us can get together, dump our boxes of holsters out on the floor and rummage thru them - and go home with a box of different holsters we think we might like!

·
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I prefer something simpler - something that's easy on and off, and doesn't wrap halfway around your body!
Me also, that's why I carry my Bodyguard all the time. I just drop it in my pocket.:tango_face_plain: Maybe I'll design a holster and make it myself. :tango_face_smile:

The most comfortable thing I've done is lose a little weight! Now there's sufficient room in the waistband of my pants, and I don't have so much "flab" for the pistol/holster to dig into!
I heard dat! :tango_face_surprise I could stand to loose some of the "dun Lap" my own sef! :tango_face_sad: Matter of fact that's really why I carry the way I do; my jeans are kinda tight... :eek:

To make matters worse, I quit smoking again and it is a daily battle just to stay at my current (and about 15 lbs over what I want) weight. :tango_face_crying:

Maybe someday all of us can get together, dump our boxes of holsters out on the floor and rummage thru them - and go home with a box of different holsters we think we might like!
What a great idea! :tango_face_grin: I've got at least one box worth! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
AtlLaw: I don't know if you run about chasing bad guys or if you are so physically active when carry that what should be a easy fix becomes complicated but when I carry, it is usually a full size 1911, a Commander size or a smaller pistol. I use the newer Tech-grip holsters. Non slip Fabric, no loops to restrict angle of choice, comfy enough for appendix carry or wherever you want, and it holds in place. I farm, am pretty active and these work for me regardless of apparel. About $20. Good luck

·
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AtlLaw: I don't know if you run about chasing bad guys or if you are so physically active...
Naw... I haven't chased bad guys since I retired from the Atlanta PD which was a good while ago. :tango_face_plain: Come to think on it, that's about the same time I stopped being really "physically active!" :tango_face_devil:
I use the newer Tech-grip holsters. Non slip Fabric, no loops to restrict angle of choice, comfy enough for appendix carry or wherever you want, and it holds in place. I farm, am pretty active and these work for me regardless of apparel. About $20. Good luck
I'd never heard of such a thing! :tango_face_surprise So I looked them up. Seems like Blackhawk is the supplier, right? The really look good! Thanks for the heads-up! :tango_face_grin:

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
AtlLaw: yes, Blackhawk holsters is the manufacturer and Tech-Grip is the line of holster. They work great. Pistol held in place well unless you turn upside down (lol), and holster doesn't slip. They are fabric so they will eventually wear but for $20, it's a deal. Miley.

·
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just added one to my "Wish List." Hope I chose the right size for my Shield... Thanks again Mikey!!!

·
Registered
10,333 Posts
I know your on the level Richard because your bubbles in the middle. I have the same problem.

Lose some weight or find a different way to carry. I’m trying to do the same thing. Honestly a micro carry or a 5 shot smith airweight carries very good in a pocket.

I’ve carried since I was old enough to own a pistol. But you know as well as I do that situational awareness and avoiding high risk places is the most important part of self defense.

·
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know your on the level Richard because your bubbles in the middle.
Now that's funny! :tango_face_grin: I don't think I ever heard it before!

Lose some weight or find a different way to carry.
Those are about the only options aren't they... :tango_face_sad: You know it's bad when you can't reach around your belly with your strong hand to draw a weapon carried in the cross draw position. :tango_face_crying: And that was always my preferred method of carry.

Remember I started back smoking and managed to lose 25 pounds; down to 175. I wanted to get down to my old fighting weight; 165. But my weight started going back up, especially when I quit smoking again. I'm back up to 189 now and fighting to stay there! :(

situational awareness and avoiding high risk places is the most important part of self defense.
True dat bro! :tango_face_grin: People put themselves in bad positions just like they talk themselves into jail! :tango_face_wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts