Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Fred moved his mfg plant to outside Gainesville Florida when I would come home to visit I would always try to stop by and visit his museum.

It was filled with his trophies and artifacts from around the world. A wonderful place to spend a afternoon. And as a plus you could view the bow mfg plant through the glass windows separating the plant from the museum.

His world record brown bear and Yukon moose were on display along with pictures of his hunts. Tigers & lions mounted as well. Boy howdy, was that a great place. I hear after Fred's death bass pro shop bought the museum and has parts of It displayed in one of their stores.

Anybody else been there?

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
When I was a young boy (12 yrold)I saw a TV show where Fred Bear was hunting the Wood River in Alaska. He shot a Moose and Caribou. Then while he was waiting for his party to get there animals he went out and shot grouse. I was really taken by his shooting a Moose with a bow. I swore that some day I would go to Alaska and hunt the Wood River. Today I have hunted the Wood River area so much it's like home to me. I even have a cabin near the river. Some years I go over and spend a month, sometimes two, just climbing the mountains and floating the river. I've taken Moose and Caribou with an old Bear recurve bow. The same bow I was shooting as a teenager. That bow is currently lying in the front room. I see it lying there and think of old Fred Bear, and the way he always held his bow at a 45 degree when he shot. Never knew his museum was in Gainsville, I would have stopped if I had known.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Conan said:
I haven't been there. But he did write a good book about his pioneering work in archery hunting. It's worth a read if you can find it.
It is an excellent book. It makes me wonder why people think they need magnum rifles for deer when Bear took an elephant with a simple recurve bow.

I had a Bear recurve as a teenager and wish I still had it today.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.