Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the Handi set-up ,just had to waite for the weaver rings in (high)
that I pick up off of E Bay will see tomorrow how she shoots.I did also have a problem even with the High weaver rings set-up,the scope I wanted to use did not work the rear adjustment ring was hitting the hammer ,so I went with a older Tasco(made in Japan) I had laying around that came off of a 7mm mag:many moons ago :D
I will try IMR 3031 for the first time out,I loaded a dummy round to see how much to seat the bullet,man that round went across the room when I broke the action open,I think the empty brass cases will fly :D :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HANDI 06

I got to the range to day and finally got to shoot the Handi,seems I had two problems but I do thunk one was my fault the other may have been a bad primer.I did notice on one shot the handi broke open on it's own,I do think I did not really snap it shut all the way,the other problem I found the hammer drop and there was a delay for the round to go off,otherwise it shot excellent.
I also found on one shot that if the action is not in the full break position it will chamer the round ,but did also break open on her own(my fault)
I tried IMR3031 seem to group a little tighter at higher charges 2700
Otherwise had no complaint about the gun ,best group was about 6 shots inside a 2" circle at the 100 yard target,I think the gun shoot better then me :D :D

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
I use my 30-06 for long range shooting, 250 to 500 yards. I use IMR-3031, it gives the best consistancy and tightest groups. I like Sierria's 165gr HPBT. One thing I have learned is to never shoot more than three shots at a time. Otherwise the barrel heats up and starts stringing them vertically. All my shots at wildlife are from a cold barrel anyway. At the range I will shoot two shots then lay it aside and shoot something else for a while, then go back to it after the barrel cools. I can bust a 4" clay target at 300 yards all day long. I can hit it two out of three times at 500 yards.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Handi-06

I did notice stringing shots vertically when the barrel starting to warm up ,I have a pratice not shoot more then 4 round an end. :D

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
For Big Game (Caribou, Moose, and Bears) I like to use the Nosler 180 Partition. I got a nice Caribou last August, a 250 yard shot. He was running and I hit him a bit high, took out both lungs. I also got a Cow Moose in November, a 200 yard uphill shot. Hit her right between the eyes, she just dropped her head, never kicked.

But since I am in Grizzly country I like the ejectors on my Handis, helps in speedy reloading. Makes a difference when what you are shooting at can turn around and eat you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts