1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
The British refer to that style of headwear as a "cheesecutter."

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
I once owned a Datsun 2000 Roadster that I drove with the top down in decent weather and just for the heck of it I got one of those caps. Even young kids laughed when they saw me. That style cap is something that is seen seldom to never in this area. Now I wear a leather ball cap in winter. Keeps the sun out my eyes, rain isn't much of a problem here but it does well for that, and it's also warm.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apparently if you wear one you should observe the proper etiquette!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpVbiWHQyaQ
I always appreciate a man with a fine wardrobe and a good personal sense of style. At the same time, I'm glad I have neither. Stained loafers, mismatched socks, dockers, and a t shirt that you've recently dried your hands on work just as well with a flat cap. In fact, the flat cap imparts style to what I generally refer to as extreme casual clothing. The criterion for being extreme casual is whether you sleep in the clothes that you also conduct your daily affairs in. Changing socks and underwear daily is permissible.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have always though those were groovy, I have never had one though.

I used to wear wool watch caps but got tired of hat hair. These are an improvement and they look good too. I get complements on mine. Not the warmest, and definitely no good for extended Minnesota winter outdoor wear, but good for driving and being about town. Goes good with a nice set of wool gloves.

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
I think they are as ugly as sin....... And no, I don't think that I will be wearing one.......

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
They are called halibut caps in Alaska.

·
23,610 Posts
yes sir tom. My dad wore one. HAIR MESSY. I haven't had much in years and what I have is cut with a wahl and a #1 head. Ball cap t shirt in the summer, flannel in the winter. Wranglers when I leave the house, unstained ones when im going somewhere fancy and sweat pants the rest of the time. Don't own a suit and only shoes I have are sneekers and boots.
I think they are as ugly as sin....... And no, I don't think that I will be wearing one.......

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
I won't be buying one anytime soon. My Kromer does the same thing in the winter (keeps my head warm) only better. Baseball cap or light cotton bucket style with fairly wide brim if I need more sun protection in warm weather.

I don't own a vintage TR-6 or MG and to me that's about the only place a flat cap would be needed!

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I can't speak with an accent and don't stick my pinky out when I drink a Coke so I'd look odd in one of those hats.

I wear blue jeans, a tee shirt, Sketcher slip on shoes or tennis shoes and a ball cap. If it's cold I wear a hooded sweatshirt only over the rest until it gets below zero then it's two hooded sweatshirts.

I have just enough good duds to keep from getting kicked out of church. Only one suit and it's for burying people. They best not bury me in that suit though......and they already know that! In fact I hope I'm face down in the coffin in case my cousin Connie shows up.....I'll still get the last laugh!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I call 'em "go to he77 hats", I've got a couple that I wear. Wife likes to see me wear 'em but that's as far as it goes these days.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One of the distinguishing things about them is that they have so many different names. That's because they are so widely worn.

The one I have never liked is the baseball style cap. Not practical, and usually ill fitting. I have never understood their popularity.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Ball cap at work, resistol straw off work in summer, 10X felt in colder weather, only reason I wear a ball cap at work is because I am required to wear a hard hat and the bill on the hard hat don't block enough sun so I wear the ball cap under it. Wear the ball when hunting too.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ball cap at work, resistol straw off work in summer, 10X felt in colder weather, only reason I wear a ball cap at work is because I am required to wear a hard hat and the bill on the hard hat don't block enough sun so I wear the ball cap under it. Wear the ball when hunting too.
And then there's this kind of hard hat...
https://www.tasco-safety.com/categories/hard-hats/search-hard-hats-by-design/cowboy-hard-hats.html

I see a lot of the electrical workers (like on electrical utility cherry picker trucks) wearing hats like this, but with what appear to be bigger brims. It seems to be a standard with them.

https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Works-6-Point-Ratchet-Suspension/dp/B01MUZC9MQ/ref=sr_1_18?keywords=electricians+hard+hat&qid=1576162366&sr=8-18

1 - 20 of 27 Posts