Graybeard Outdoors banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
I'm trying to wrap my mind around the "not practical, and usually ill fitting" statement. I've worn them and liked them since I was a kid. They can be found sized or adjustable. They don't blow off in the wind and do a very good job of keeping the sun out of your eyes. We have plenty of both those items in this part of the world. Probably 90% of the head covers you see here are ball caps.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I'm trying to wrap my mind around the "not practical, and usually ill fitting" statement. I've worn them and liked them since I was a kid. They can be found sized or adjustable. They don't blow off in the wind and do a very good job of keeping the sun out of your eyes. We have plenty of both those items in this part of the world. Probably 90% of the head covers you see here are ball caps.
Chalk it up to individual differences and experimentation with different hat styles. I have a couple of really good baseball style caps and they are nowhere near as useful as the alternatives I have. For example, for warm weather wear, my Tilly hat is drastically better than a a baseball cap, for me.

A big factor is living in the north. You get a lot more clothes when you live in the north than when you live in the south. People are tuned into trying different clothing styles. I see a lot more variety in head gear in the north than I see in the south, except in the extremes like near the equator and in desert.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
"You get a lot more clothes when you live in the north than when you live in the south." Well, I suppose that makes sense unless you want to freeze your cajones off. :D I seem to remember some sayings about brass monkeys and witches. By the way, ball caps are available with mesh tops just like hats. I'll confess to having a Barhma and also a Conner hat with mesh crowns that are cool and ear friendly plus very light weight in the summer. They are still a PIA on a windy day though.

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
:tango_face_smile:I still wear a couple of my dad's Fedoras on occasion.
I actually wear one while gardening some times, not as hot as a baseball cap.:tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Fedoras was the hat of choice for southerners pre 1970s , use to be if you saw someone wearing a flat cap , you knew they were from up north .

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
I have an accent, but it's from being raised in the south......

21 - 27 of 27 Posts