Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought one of these used from another forum for $30.00. I don't think it was ever used it looks so good. I zeroed it out with the foot. Weighed some powder on my Lee scale. Confirmed it with a digital. The RCBS is dead on the money and lot faster than Lee and you don't have to wait 10-15 seconds for my digital to jump up or down a couple of grains.

Only problem I see is the RCBS will loose zero at the slightest bump. Sometimes putting the pan back on if you get crooked and straighten it up will lose it. Cleaned everything. No draft. Sitting level. It's really light so doesn't take much to bump it.

Anyone got any ideas that use this scale.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
I have mine on a 5/4 board to get pan off the bench some for better clearance and also have some of the tool drawer liner scap laying around under the scale and adjustment foot - I think the rubbery cushion helps keep the scale in check and the foot from turning ever so slightly when installing/removing pan

If I bump it I always recheck zero

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
i epoxied some 330 gr 45-70 bullets to the underside of mine
the added weight didnt effect the scale, but made it alot more stable

i took a paint marker and high lighted the arrow thats on the weight so its a bit easier to see when its on the weight i want

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
i'd borrow a set of check weights just to
make for sure certain it was accurate.
you might also want to check any loads
you have worked up after changing scales.
checking and double checking never hurts
and can only help

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't trusted it just yet. Checking loads on digital after. Verifying every 5th load or so with the Lee scale too. I'm in no great hurry so I have time to double and triple check.

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
2gunshunting said:
I haven't trusted it just yet. Checking loads on digital after. Verifying every 5th load or so with the Lee scale too. I'm in no great hurry so I have time to double and triple check.
I'd rather have that beam powder scale than any digital made. You don't say how much your zero is changing but I can't believe it's more than .1 or .2 grain at the most. That's too small a difference to make a difference but it's understandable to want total consistency.

1. Check that the beam knives are clean and free from burrs,

2. Insure the "V" groves in the two beam bearings are totally clean; use the end of a round tooth pick to make sure the grooves are spotless.

3. Check to see if the hook on the pan hanger wire is shifting a little, a difference there will cause the whole pan assembly to shift slightly to the left or right and that will make small differences.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
About .5 to 1 grain. Not enough to worry too much but I did bump it yesterday and was 4 grains too hot. I need a rubber pad under it. My bench is too slick. Might help some. I love the scale though. While Lee is jumping up and down trying to settle in the RCBS goes right to the mark and stays.

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
Half to a full grain is NOT good. Fact is, absolute accuracy is far less important than repeatability but a full grain of variation is not good enough. Try the suggested 'cures' and if that doesn't fit it get a magnifying glass and examine the pivot beam knife edges for burrs. (IF you do have burrs, the next question is how good are you at fixing small mechanical devices? It's not rocket science to sharpen the knives but it does demand careful work.)

Most RCBS (and others) beam scales have long been made by Ohaus and they are the most reliable makers of small, modest priced scales I know of. RCBS is supposed to warrantee most of their reloading tools for life. If you can't get yours to work a lot better than it is call their customer service number and see what they suggest you do with it. (IF they do warrantee it you need not be the original owner nor have a sales receipt.)

That little Lee scale is so light it can be a PITA to use but they are as dead-on accurate as any.

A lot of people suggest a set of precision scale weights but I'm not one of them. I've been reloading for five decades and have used a good number of beam scales but I've NEVER felt any need for check weights; a properly maintained reloading beam scale WILL be both accurate and consistent.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
if you buy a used anything you have no idea if it's been properly maintained

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I followed Scibaers advice and glued some 45 bullets to each corner. Went to office max and picked up a rubber mat for it and it's reading perfect now. Used 15 grain and 30 grain check weights and they are dead on.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
if you bump it, and then find the zero is off, see if the scales are still level.
i have found that some times the scales body shifts and the scale is not level and that will cause the beam to read a grain or two.

and, the take a look at the adjustment wheel. it has threads like bolt and it threads into the scale body. some times those threads in the body are not cut crisp and the threads can slip.

and the last thing. i weighted my pan ( mine was 162.4 grains ) and then made sure i was level and zero , then weighed 5 grains with my lyman check weights ( get some if you dont have any ) and made sure i was dead on..

to adjust a zero, there are lead pellets under the cup the pan rides on. you can take out the little screw and remove the cap and add or remove the pellets it get it weighing right at zero with the powder pan in place.

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
It takes a whale of a bump or huge change in position to produce a half to full grain of change in registered weight.

Some folk over agonize about beam scale leveling. Front to rear, if the scale mount is visually level, it's level enough. Left to right, the beam itself will ideally be perfectly horizontal when the scale is zeroed but small differences in that will make very small differences in registered weight.

To set the scale up, eye ball level the scale body. Then set the beam poises to zero. If the pointer isn't within +/- .3 gr to zero, change the pan hanger weights to rough register close to zero. Do the rough zeroing with the small weights under the pan hanger cap. The left end leveling screw can finish the job.

--------------------------------

OH YEAH! I forgot to mention another potential for error with a beam scale. [size=12pt] Keep the beam sorta centered, front to rear, so the ends of the pivot bar doesn't rub the "V" blocks retaining clips.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I use one to. I have a set of RCBS check weights that I use to verify the charge that I want to use. Keep the beam in the middle and keep it clean.
I roll mine in a soft cloth and put it back in it's box when I'm done. I use it on the hardwood bench top. If I bump it I always recheck zero with the weights. My opinion get the weights they tell the story.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I put a 1 pound lead ingot on top of the scale under the balance beam and another on the table top against the back of the scale. These 2 lead ingots help keep the scale more stable.

Also it wouldn't hurt to take the beam off and blow the dust out of the balance points.

Tony

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
You need a bit of common sence using the scale...

I have learned the bast place I liek mine is eye level out in front of me. I build my loading benches a little narrower so I can easily reach the shelving I build out of 1x6 pine on the back. Part of that has a "cubical" built for the scale. Wind free too! Level the bench and its shelf, then the scale. Mine has been in its current spot for going on 15 years... I check it from time to time, but its never changed.

Weight in its base is a good thing too.

Lots of good tips here, the balance beam is also my favorite. I have a digital I use for quick lil weight checks... But always use my beam for loading.

Good luck, the RCBS scale is a good one. I would toss that LEE "scale" in the garbage where it belongs... I would not gamble my body or firearms on loads built with a LEE scale or powder measure. PERIOD! Cutting corners on some things we as load's use can be OK, I mean not everyone loads as much as others Or do all people have enough $$$ on hand to buy better. I understand... But buying sub quality or Cheap scales or powder measurer's when we all know how important accuracy is with these things its simply foolish...Your putting that price tag on your guns, your body and your worth to people who rely upon and love you.

Good luck with yours!

CW

1 - 15 of 15 Posts