Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been at this CAS for 6 months and pretty much have all the "stuff" needed so it's time to figure out another way to spend $$.
My Win 97 is packed up and this afternoon it will be going off to Coyote Cap for some work.
Looking to buy some replacement springs for the RV's (probably will get the RV video, too)
And trying to get with the gunsmith for some work on the Marlin.

Of them all the Marlin is the one in greatest need of some slickin' up. After two days of shooting my arm is sore from working the lever. Put some shots in the trees cause the trigger is pretty stiff too.
Gosh I love this sport--can't think of a better way to spend my hard earned funds. :grin:

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
The time has come to spend some $$ for the

Hey Ranger!! Your marlin sounds puzzeling, even new out of the box, they aren't as bad as your describing this one, this almost lounds like it might ought'a make a trip back to marlin????

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Nope, not that bad by any means, just with a weak right arm (rotatior culf surgery) and putting over 100 rounds through it I realize that it needs an action job. Just trying to justfy spending more $$ :grin: :grin:

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts

:-D

·
Registered
552 Posts

Any body what knows how to take out a screw can do an action job on the Marlin. It's that easy. Read my post to Holiday in regard his. Shouldn't take more than an hour or two going real slow to have it slick as can be. Only tools needed are the screw driver to remove the lever, a pad of crocus cloth and maybe a hard arkansas stone.

GB

·
Registered
110 Posts

I guess I've been lucky buy my Uberti 1873 rifle and EMF Hartford handguns have not needed anything to improve them. I also have an EMF Hartford 1892 carbine taht is slick right out of the box.

Lone

·
Registered
453 Posts

My Marlin was always my slickest shooting iron when I got started. I never seemed to miss with it at all. Now those pistolas was another story.
Even if you aren't too mechanically inclined, I think you need to get the manual out for the Marlin and take it apart and do a real good cleaning job on it. They just should not be that stiff at all.
Later you could do things like change the spring out, get rid of the big trigger creep and maybe a one piece firing pin, but first you need to see if it is defective or just has crud in it. M2¢

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Took a day off and went up to our "local" gun guru. Was just going to drop them off and head home (93.7 miles one-way) but he had time and so did I so he did the work while I watched. After seeing him and all his SPECIALIZED tools I'm glad I spent the time and $$ letting him do the work.
After watching I probably can do any new guns I get so it was worth it to me.
CR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts