Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that dip your traps,quit procrastinating and do it now.
There is no better time for dipping,than the dog days of summer.
Remember,don't use gasoline---use coleman fuel.By dipping now and using coleman fuel,you will get a quick and complete dry out of your traps.
Now do as I say---don't use gasoline,spend a bit more on the coleman,and save yourself oodles of trouble.
I am going to do as I preach,going to be back into the 90s tomorrow--just the right time for me to get all my traps dipped.
Tom

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Newton,you were oh so right---it was an ad lol.
Tom

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
dippen

Now listen to Bog , he knows what he knows what he is talking about and now is the time to do traps not fall when you should be scouting and gettin permission... oh yea for you snuff dippers dont use colemans LOL....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bog, you ever use Mineral Spirits (paint thinner)?
I've been using my own made net dip with thinners on traps that works very well and cheaper than Coleman fuel.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
As ya old fart, there you go hyjacking a perfectly serious thread talkin about non-target critters...AGAIN :roll:

If I told ya once I told ya a billion times (inflation) there ain't no armydildos in NM! Geesh :p

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have used mineral spirits,the mix is like 1 to 1 .where as coleman is around 4 to 1.
I have had such good luck with coleman,I highly doubt I would switch.
Tom

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just want to know if dipping has any odor afterward. I've been sceptical just because I can't get past the whole fuel thing. Is dipping only good for water sets or can you use it for land sets? Somebody set me straight on this.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thumper,when done early,and done correctly---many trappers take canines in dipped traps.The key is to do it now,and don't use gasoline.There are so many additives in gasoline,you don't get a complete dry out--without a complete dry out,you end up with sticky, stinky traps.
Many Wisconsin canine addicts,dip their traps as do several members of this forum .
Tom

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'll try again. LOL

I have been using a Water Soluble Dip (mixes with water)for both my land and water traps. (it dont come off in water once it's dry)
It drys to the touch in 1 hour. You can put your traps out on the line in 24 hours. No air out time. Its safe and it works.

Hows that Boggy ?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I did a test with Newt's "Formula One" water based dip some time backon coyotes. I made eight sets with the unset trap buried at dirthole and my lures down the holes. I had coyotes, fox, ****, fisher and bobcats all over those sets with no digging at the trap or even one set avoidance. Formula One is an acceptable alternative to traditional dyeing and waxing of traps. Ace

·
Registered
568 Posts
Newt Do you have to dip repeatedly with Formula One to get good coverage on your traps?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I only had to dip the 8 traps I did the testing with one time and the Formula One took real good. However, these were not new shiny traps but rather old, well used traps with a little rust on thm. Ace

·
Registered
552 Posts
Dips are great for **** traps and water traps. I use both F-1 and speed dip on these every year.

But....If you are serious about coyotes- dye and wax or just wax.

Some people in small isolated areas of the country can use dip without problems- but I know and regularly correspond with dozs of good coyote men in the north, east midwest and west- and they ALL stay away from the dips.

I ued the dips for years and in fact had my best coyote year ever using dips- but oh my the misses.

Did repeat experiments testing the dips- and found out what I knew- dips put off a lot of coyotes.

So- save time...or do it right. My opinion of course....trappnman

·
Registered
6 Posts
:D I'm done, they are all dipped or dyed and waxed. Never been done so soon. Now the fur market will fall even farther down, I've seen too many road kills. But I got to try anyway.

Mike

·
Registered
603 Posts
For the first treatment you should dip your traps 2-3 times. From then on when the traps come in off the line 1 coat will do the job.

Trapnman,
I guess "REAL" trappers like Asa,Bob Jameson,Clint Locklear and Slim Pedersen. Cant catch Coyotes. These guys just about cover all on the areas in the states.
Asa- North
Bob Jameson-East
Clint Locklear-South
Slim Pedersen-West
Better start "Do'n It" Your self before you pass on advice instead of just go'n by what "someone said" .Most of which are hobby trappers who could'nt catch a cold if they tryed.
O-yea, It's been tested at the FUR TAKERS of AMERICA TRAPPERS COLLEGE.Diped and cought fur the very next day. Just like wax and die

1 - 20 of 28 Posts