Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure that many of you have never seen one of these. It's a Sheridan (Yes, the air gun people) Knock-about, 22. These were made for a short time back in the 60's, and the frame is made from stamped sheet metal. I laughed when I saw it in the gun case at Jay's for $60, but on close inspection I decided I needed it. It has made a perfect trainer for the Grandkids. It has a manual safety (one that works in the proper direction; up for on, down for off) and is a single action, single shot. The button in front of the trigger guard releases the barrel which tips up to load. And it fits small hands very well. You do have to admit this has to be the ugliest .22 handgun every made! 44 Man

·
Registered
119 Posts
.44: You are right! That has to be one of the UGLIEST guns I have seen. But, the real winner is a handgun that made its short (thankfully) appearance some time in the mid 70s...the Rojak. A 9mm self loader that had the accuracy and pleasing lines of a handful of mud, splattered on the side of a house. Actually, for just a minute, I thought the pic you posted was the Rojak.

A guy by the name of Phil Engeldrum published a gunzine back then, and one of the photos used with his test of the Rojak was him, preparing to launch it manually downrange, with the captioned opinion that THIS was the best way to improve the gun's accuracy. :D

·
Registered
477 Posts
:eek: That is one ugly handgun you have! You are the winner! But the more I stare at the picture the more it is starting to appeal to me... ::)

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Those look like genuine plastic grips too.

I got one of the Daisy 22 rifle when I was a kid.
It was of similar quality. Lots of plastic and wood that did not match.

·
Registered
119 Posts
mangulator said:
:eek: That is one ugly handgun you have! You are the winner! But the more I stare at the picture the more it is starting to appeal to me... ::)
Quick! Take three or more aspirin with the medicinal libation of choice, and lay down in a dark, quiet room until that feeling goes away! :D

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have to say that it shoots quite well. It is funny how they made it though. You can see the cost cutting measures in the stamped steel frame rivited together. The trigger is also a folded piece of sheet steel. Then they turn around and the sights are a machined part of the barrel, rather than added on. Kind of makes you wonder, but it is fun to shoot. And I love teaching the kids the drill: put the safety on, pop the barrel open, load and close, cock the hammer, then release the safety and shoot. It gets them into a good, safe routine. 44 Man

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No! It's still not pretty! (but it is useful) 44 Man

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
When I read the thread title I expected to see a picture of a P-22! :D
Flame away-------!
Savage

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now Savage, I think the P-22 is a nice looking gun. A bit plastic of course, but still.....

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Looks like a scaled down east German flare gun.
It's as pretty as orthopedic shoes!
But like orthopedic shoes it works for what's needed.
If and when you want to get rid of it let me know. I'd love to drag it out to the range for the slow fire portion of a bullseye shoot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wait till you see rugers new autoloader .22 a bastaredized 10 22 yech.

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
I don't know I'd call this ugly, maybe unique?
Thanks for sharing.
I use a model 63 S&W for the grandkids and younger set, when we go shooting.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ram-Line Exactor!

The Ram-Line Exactor/Mountain Eagle pistol has got to be in contention for this honor... :D

(Sorry, you’ll have to Google it. I’m having issues posting pics today.)

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I **** it too! Looks just like my Handi Rifle!

Does it come in 410?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
There was the Allright that was hard on the eyes.
Charter Arms Explorer II pistol
Intratec Tec-22 Scorpion .22LR
Then the one that uses Ruger 10/22 mags.
Lastly one that is not a rimfire but a .32acp 5 shot revolver.
The Braverman folding revolver.

Attachments

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Runnerup has to be the Daisy Legacy 2202 and 2203 rifles an ugly concoction of sheet metal, pot metal and plastic.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts