Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would share a picture with you guys...These 2 little girls are sisters both from the same litter...and both are Gordon Setters...They are 7 weeks old...both come from great field champions...I've wanted a pair of them for as long as I can remember...

The chocolate one on the left...is CoCo...the black & tan on the right is Melrose Alistar...(Ali for short)..They will start their formal training in a few months..Look out quail,pheasants,& chuckar..

Mac

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Mac, two fine looking additions to your family.,.you and they will enjoy each other.. Doug

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
not a bad trade man , i'm still mad at you for selling but still not a bad trade

·
Super Moderator
51,257 Posts
Very cute, good huntin!! ;)

Tim

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Good lookin dogs there mac. Glad it wasn't something serious. MUST YOU BE SO MYSTERIOUS? HAD ME WORRIED.

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
handirifle said:
Good lookin dogs there mac. Glad it wasn't something serious. MUST YOU BE SO MYSTERIOUS? HAD ME WORRIED.[/color]
Ditto here , if you had not explained by monday you were going to get a phone call .

stimpy

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Guys...It goes a little deeper than you think...I've had a lot of changes happen at work lately and I lost my long time faithful sheltie last week.....and my family went thru an very emotional time because of it..Me too...it hit me very hard to be truthful...I sat down with my lovely wife and discussed what we should do..not only for me & her...but my 2 boys as well...She ask me if I wanted to get a hunting dog...since I had told her when we first met it was one of my long time dreams of having...along with a fantastic Browning O/U 20ga.We discussed the various breeds she liked and when I showed her some pictures of these guys when they are grown...she agreed with my choice...so...we now have 2 excellent dogs to upland bird hunt with...

Now...another part of this story is the lack of real quality rifle deer hunting in my area...It's kinda of weird...in a state that has as much state & federal land to say this...but...it's true...Come rifle season next week...it becomes a mad house in this state...Deer hunting with a rifle here...has become a royal pain...It has lost it's appeal to me...having to constantly deal with over run public land...and it's getting to the point of having to spend a ton of money on a lease..or hunting club...just to have a shot...So...I kind of had an Epiphany...I used to bow hunt all the time...and shot competitively for many years...and here in Missouri on public land...except for the most easiest places to access...is really under utilized... namely because 4 wheelers aren't allowed on conservation ground...but mountain bikes are...so...2 weeks ago...both me and my wife got new mountain bikes to ride on the various trails and bike paths here...so...I rigged up a nice trailer hitch to pull my deer cart...and now I have the means to get back into areas most hunters won't walk to...and darn few as of yet...have put 2+2 together as I did...so...

2+2 adds up to this...I used to bow hunt for my deer most of the time...instead of the other way around...and since I have 2 great dogs who will be trained by this time next year...my gun hunting for edible game...will be done with a new Browning Citori 525 grade II that I went and traded my new Remington SPS model 700 270...and my Remington 11-87 Model T skeet 12ga. for yesterday...so...my dream of having a fine brace of Gordon's to hunt behind...and a awesome Browning O/U...is now a reality...which means I will primarily be a bow hunter for deer...instead of a gun hunter after this season...I still have 1 rifle...(a Handi) to deer hunt with...but...it will be on occasion...

So...you see...none of this would have been a reality if my little sheltie hadn't died..and I wouldn't be going down this different path I am on.....With my job...and putting in as many hours as I am having to do now...my time for enjoyment is being taxed greatly...and I am going to be enjoying my time outdoors...when ever I can...so...that means I will be here less & less...One door closes...another opens...and everything that happens...happens for a reason....I firmly believe this...

I'll finish the last of my story tomorrow with ya...

Mac

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
Those are beautiful puppies & I hope they give you alot of hunting enjoyment & great companions for the family as well.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Mac,
I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your sheltie. My friend has a sheltie and he has real personality.
I can definitely see how you could become attached to to a sheltie. They are real characters.
Always trying to "herd" and "spinning doughnuts". ;D When I was growing up my family always
had hunting dogs. Springer spaniels mostly. We had one springer who would be "ready to rock
and roll" when my Dad would just work the action of his old Winchester Model 12 pump. That
dog hunted everything from quail to geese. Every day I wish I could have a hunting dog. Unfortunately
because of where I live this is not possible. Maybe someday I hope! Congrats on the 2 new additions
to the family. They look like they are real bird dogs! I would dare say that they will do just fine!
Good luck and good hunting Pal!

Robert

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thats a good trade I think, though you will have your hands full taking on two sister pups to train up at the same time and I look forward to updates on their training and progress to the real thing, hunting birds, getting my SL.243 handi to shoot sub 1" was a doodle compared to getting my Cocker spaniel to Trial standard and even now 5yrs old he still looks me in the eye sometimes and then if he could talk would be telling me that " you are not the boss I am now going to do as I as I please."
regards Howard.

·
Registered
294 Posts
They look great Mac! Way to go following your dreams. Sometimes you have to change your way as you are wandering down the pathways of life.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Good Luck to your future adventures. It is weird how a life changing moment (your loss of a beloved pet) can make you look at things differently. To change your priorities. Your story brought back some pleasant memories. Some of my best hunting memories are upland game hunting with my father. We mostly hunted rabbits with beagles, but often ran into birds (quail were very plentiful). Our beagles would act differently around birds. After a while you could read when they were on to a bird. The pheasants have made a come back here, but the quail never came back after the winters of '77 & '78

·
Registered
260 Posts
I always liked Gordons :)

I was a member of a local pointing dog club for some time and hunted Grouse & Timberdoodles behind a Britt. Great times.......

We picked up a Choc. Lab pup about 15 months ago. She has brought many smiles to the family.

I flyfish for Steelhead in the fall currently (went yesterday and landed 4 ;)). For me, the best hunting was always behind dogs.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Congrats Mac!!!!! Very happy to see this happen for ya!! ;)

Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Mac

I feel you , a few years ago when my Golden Lab passed after 12 years i sat down and cried like a baby :'( :'( :'( :'( , you will always remember the good times you spent together and the pups will be a handful to distract you too . :eek:

As for the bikes , sounds too much like work to me . ;D

Richard

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Guys...

I really appreciate the kind words...really...this means a-lot

So...let me finish my story here for all of you...

I have given this a lot of thought..and have discussed this with Graybeard...I think it is time for me to step down as moderator here at GBO...I just can not spend the time here as I used to...It hurts...but...I feel it is in the best interest of the site and my family that I do this...I'll still be around but just not in any official capacity...nor as often as what I have been...With all of the good moderators we have here now from Quickdtoo and Double D...as global moderators...and all the rest of the hard working forum moderators..I think you guys are in good hands...

So...to all of you...Thanks for putting up with me for so long...and my apologies if I have offended any with my posting...I wish you all the best in what ever you do...

Sincerely

Mac

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Mac

Don't be a stranger you hear , and i still have your number if i get into something over my head . ;)

Stimpy

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't worry Stimpy....I'll be around if needed...just not as much...and folks can still PM me or call me...

I do want to thank Graybeard for allowing me/us to be here...It's been a fun 4 years for me and I have met a-lot of great folks...

Mac

·
Super Moderator
51,257 Posts
Mac,

As Stimpy said, don't be a stranger, I fully understand ya gotta do whatcha gotta do, the paths of life are sometimes forked and leave us standing at the crossroads scratching our heads, glad you clearly know which way to go. ;)

Tim

1 - 20 of 38 Posts