Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
The Air Force does not seem to be having much problem-- I have Stealth fighters and bombers "practicing" overhead almost constantly. I will have to find the pictures-- I have several of them refueling right over my house. On cloudy days it is almost constant, clear days not quite as much. There is something about the pitch of their motors that affects my tinnitus strangely-- I can FEEL them going over the house even when others whom hear considerably better than I cannot hear them. We get up and go outside and yup-- they can hear them then. I have not noticed any let up in the training schedule so far.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
twoshooter said:
The Air Force does not seem to be having much problem-- I have Stealth fighters and bombers "practicing" overhead almost constantly. I will have to find the pictures-- I have several of them refueling right over my house. On cloudy days it is almost constant, clear days not quite as much. There is something about the pitch of their motors that affects my tinnitus strangely-- I can FEEL them going over the house even when others whom hear considerably better than I cannot hear them. We get up and go outside and yup-- they can hear them then. I have not noticed any let up in the training schedule so far.
-
Does thunder ever wake you in the night while it is too far away to hear? Happened a lot back when I farmed, not so much aymore. ear

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I was 10 years old or so (1965) breaking the sound barrier was common. I grew up about 35 miles north of McConnell AFB in Wichita. WSW of Salina, KS a bit and about 90 miles north of Wichita was the Smoky Hill Bombing Range. F-100s were stationed there at the time, later F-105s, and regularly flights of four would be going through the barrier around out farm heading for the range. It got your attention!
GuzziJohn

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
Hemorrhoids flare up again??

I live near Ft Wood in Missouri, and the Stealth are stationed at Whiteman up near Marshall, as well as test flights out of St Louis by Boeing. Guzz-- yes -- in my childhood there were very frequent "sonic-booms", knocked pictures off walls, cracked plaster and some windows. There are still a few but rare.
As for those whom MIGHT profess some measure of fiscal conservatism-- I have a problem with someone whom screams about the wast of food stamp money when an average family could eat for about 8 YEARS for the cost of keeping a stealth up for 30 MINUTES. So NO--- I don't need to hear whining about military cuts. Especially since all the enemies I see on TV are NOT piloting a Russian MIG- they are driving used Dodge Ram or Chevy pickups with a 50 cal mounted in the back.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
It's a good thing we have such informed voters who base their grasp on world affairs off what they see on TV; we all know what a full and accurate picture that provides. We probably could both feed a family and fly stealth planes if we cut the overhead on both, but that would require laying off thousands of public employees and really tic off the unions.

But don't worry, soon we'll have no military and still not be able to feed a family, so in a way, it'll even out ;)

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
No one realistically believes we will be in large conflagration with China or Russia, we are too intertwined-- it would like be stabbing ourselves in the leg because it was not responding to our wishes. Small ideologically driven cults or religious groups perhaps. We do not need thousands less public employees either- perhaps you should talk to some of those people whom's only concern is what to do with their money. In fact they actually dont do that either-- they hire someone to do it for them.

Al put it best: I buy a dozen cars when I'm in the mood---I hire somebody to chew my food--- I'm an upwardly mobile Dude-- this is the life...

This is NOT about national security-- it is about the security of defense corporation stockholders share price.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
twoshooter said:
No one realistically believes we will be in large conflagration with China or Russia, we are too intertwined-- it would like be stabbing ourselves in the leg because it was not responding to our wishes.
Do you know who Japan's biggest trading partners were in 1941? Or Germany's? Look it up. You might realize how naive your assumption is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts