Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Mark.... I have an addiction to the .45-70!

Currently have:
3 different types of TC Encore rifle barrels
Pedresoli Quigly Sharps model
Henry H010 lever
Ruger #1 laminate \ SS

I think I need some help, as I want a Marlin JM lever action rifle... A bolt action 45-70. Ugh, the list just goes on and on in my bulbous head.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I am planning on purchasing a 45-70 Handi-rifle.
If I like it maybe there will be more 45-70's in my future?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
KC34 said:
I am planning on purchasing a 45-70 Handi-rifle.
If I like it maybe there will be more 45-70's in my future?
I've had one for a bit more than a year and it's pretty close to being my favorite rifle out of the 20 some in my safe... That said, it's also a hand loaders round. I can't see shooting factory ammo out of it. My reasoning behind getting it (more than just wanting it) was to have a hunting rifle that would do the job with home cast bullets. I've bought some cast bullets for it but it's likely that I'll never shoot jacketed bullets from it...

Tony

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have had six 45-70s over the years, still have three. I keep telling myself that three is enough.... three is enough,,, well you get the idea.
FM

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
hah, i hear ya spartacus - join the .45-70 fan club!

recently i sold off the last of my bolt action and semi-auto centerfire rifles in favor of single shot .45-70's. i've had 4 h&r's in .45-70 (2 bc's and 2 ultra's) and they were just preludes to far the far better pedersoli bodine roller and chiappa '74 sharps. and as mentioned, this is great hand loader's cartridge - the recipes are near endless, from mouse burp uber low recoil loads to knock-you-down high power loads, and lots in between. it's both a superb bush and long range round, to boot. besides hand loading the .45-70, i also cast my boolits. lotsa folks use jacketed but i think this cartridge really shines when loaded with a soft lead alloy and black powder, or an appropriate smokeless powder like aa5744, sr4759 or even trail boss.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have a 45-70 UH SS handi rifle on its way to me right now! I have been patiently tracking its progress through the shipper and hope to have it in my hands tomorrow with any luck. I feel like a kid at Christmas, can't wait to get that rifle in my hands!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I bought on impulse a 45-70 H&R rifle barrel and I can’t wait to get it going to the range.
I had received the Lee dies to prepare some cases I picked up some time ago at the range.
I hate to through big chunks of lead so my loads will have to be in the 300gr range for boolits.
Any load you want to share (light loads)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is no road to recovery! I have 19 so far in NEF handis, Buffalo classics, Ruger #1s, rolling block, and Lever actions.
Wife says that I need help😌

·
Registered
10,333 Posts
A 45-70 loaded with a WFN 405 gr cast bullet over 24gr of 2400 will kill anything in North America. And that load won’t beat you up shooting it.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Something that lasts as long as the 45/70 must have something going on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m a .45/70 addict as well!

I currently have 33:

3 Ruger No 1’s
2 Ruger No 3’s
4 JM Marlin 1895’s
2 Marlin 1895 Cowboys
9 Winchester 1886’s
5 Shiloh 1874 Sharps in various configurations
1 T/C Contender rifle
1 T/C Contender pistol
2 T/C Encore Pro Hunter Katahdin Carbines
2 T/C Encores
1 Remington/Keene
1 Custom Enfield Mk IV

·
Premium Member
9,681 Posts
My first Handi was a 22 inch .45-70. I have a 16.5 incher too. I've shot a wide variety of loads between the two rifles. You can load collar buttons and plink chipmunks under Mama's bird feeder, or nail 'chucks at 250, or dump Mr. Horns at 400. Personally, I love them on chucks. It is, however, the poor man's varmint/magnum.

Pete

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Well... I'm in the club too... but not as bad as some of y'all...

Handi Rifle - 22"
Wesson and Harrington BC - 32"
Marlin (Remlin) 1895GS - 18.5"

Had planned on another Handi with the plastic stocks (the one above is wood)... but the stopped making them, so will have to watch the used market someday.

I don't know about you folks, but the simplicity of the Handis really attracts me. Granted... there are finer guns out there. Would like a Winchester High Wall in .45-70 or a good replica some day... Like this... (as a kid started on a Stevens Crackshot... something about these just reminds me of a bigger one...)

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Not sure I’m so much a 45/70 as a 1895 fan. But then part of that is the power of the 45/70.

Perfect combo. The Bobcat of the gun world. Compact yet very capable package.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am feeling a little inadequate with just one 45-70, a Sharps. I do have a H&R Target Rifle in 38-55 to keep it company though. Both shoot mostly black powder.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
I just picked up a custom barrel in 45-70 for my TCR 83/87 I am using trail boss in it I did have a number one and a 1896 Marlin both liked the Trail Boss if the weather breaks and the wind drops to about 5mph I will give this new barrel a try.

Deaconllb

·
Premium Member
9,681 Posts
Go shoot it in the wind. Have fun. You can fine tune it later. Life is short.

Pete

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
I always talk myself out of one, but the 45-70 calls to me at times. Honestly its the recoil - I'm a big boy, avid shooter, so there should be no reason. I think its because I dipped my toe in the water and got a Super 16 barrel for a contender in 45-70 years back, and it kicked my butt. Not enough weight, too short LOP I'm sure. But there you go. I sure do admire them though, and for a caster and loader I imagine its heaven. My family in AK totes an 1895GGSS along as bear protection during Caribou and Moose season. I'd have figured to just use it for both roles, and save carrying an extra rifle, but that's how they do it.

·
Registered
10,333 Posts
I always talk myself out of one, but the 45-70 calls to me at times. Honestly its the recoil - I'm a big boy, avid shooter, so there should be no reason. I think its because I dipped my toe in the water and got a Super 16 barrel for a contender in 45-70 years back, and it kicked my butt. Not enough weight, too short LOP I'm sure. But there you go. I sure do admire them though, and for a caster and loader I imagine its heaven. My family in AK totes an 1895GGSS along as bear protection during Caribou and Moose season. I'd have figured to just use it for both roles, and save carrying an extra rifle, but that's how they do it.
A 405 gr cast bullet over 24 gr of 2400 powder is a very comfortable shooting load and will shoot through most and animal in North America. Just saying you don’t half to shoot 458 mag loads in a 45-70.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts