Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my grandson turned 12 and passed his Hunter Safety course so I need to find something for us to use this season for deer hunting. Back in the late 70's I has one of the older style Huntsmans with the O-Ring breach plug in 45 cal and it was a real tack driver. Now for the questions.
Are the new ones as accurate as the older ones were?
Would it be best to use Mag Sabots for all shooting or do standard ones work better with lighter loads?
I'd like to use the 50cal/44cal(.429) sabots instead of going 50cal/45cal(.451) because it would seem that a given weight bullet would have a better B.C. and thus better down range proformace in a smaller caliber, would ya'll agree with this?
Anyway, give me a yell here and let me know what ya'll think. Talk to ya' later.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Thinking about pickin' up a couple Sidekick

DO IT. I have gotten great results with 295 gr power belts & loose 777
Have not tried sabots yet but think they should work

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Just checked with my local dealer, he can get Sidekicks in in Blue for $175 out the door or the stainless for $220 out the door. He didn't know that the Sidekicks weren't under the Form 4473 so he was going to charge me the extra $10 bucks for the TIC's fee until I told him that only the Huntsman was under Form 4473 because it'll take ctg. barrels but the Sidekick won't so it's Muzzle loader only and won't need a back ground check, ect. Does these prices seem about right for gun, tax, et al? Personally, I'd rather spend the little bit extra and go stainless even though I keep all my guns squeeky clean. Every little bit helps where muzzle loader are conserned. Anyway, talk to ya'll later.

·
Registered
335 Posts

GO FOR IT! :D :toast: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I'm also looking at the CVA Optima, it's based on the same action but I think it has a better feeling stock set up. Not really sure what I"m going to do at this point since I'll probably have to trade in my Remington Model 7 in 7mm08 Rem. so I want to make a logical choice. I'll figure it out by hunting season, I'm sure.

·
Registered
786 Posts

Just do it, I got one from wally world for $20 less than that but none to be found here in a local shop. Cabelas has them for 159/229 + shipping so your price sounds good

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I'm still kind of thinkin' CVA Optima because of the breech plug design.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts