Graybeard Outdoors banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
;D ;D ;D

For some odd reason, I get a belly laugh out of listening to all my fellow gunnies squealing like a hog under a gate about the prices of new guns. The prices of guns are going up in a heckuva hurry right now, and it's life, it's real, and get a grip. It's called inflation. I don't hear any body complaining about how the value of their real estate is rising to absurd levels. The 700 CDL SF goes for $900 to $950, in my neck of the woods, did anyone seriously think the new Model 70 Classics were going to be cheaper? The Model 70 Classic action itself is much more expensive to manufacture than the tubular push feed 700. My recommendation is, if there is anything out there right now that you want, and you can find it at anything approaching a reasonable price, jump on it now!

My recommendation is, if there is anything out there right now that you want, and you can find it at anything approaching a reasonable price, jump on it now!
I agree...there are still a bunch of the original Mod 70's available...for a lot less...but...like I said...just because the MSRP is high...doesn't mean the street price will be...

Mac

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Winchesters. Don't care who owns the company (but am pleased FN will be making them), just care about quality of the product, what chamberings are available and what it will cost me.

Will I buy one? Can't begin to say. Even if I like them there is no guarantee as I like others, too. They will be competing for my dollar just like everyone else. But I'm glad to see the new M70 Winchester will be available if I decide that 's what I want.

You can take this for what it is worth. You can either heed it or you can forget you ever saw it. Either way, it doesn't bother me.

A few years ago I read something that stated that the future social plan by the Gov't will be against the "Three Evil Sisters".... Tobacco, Firearms and Alcohol. We all know about what happened so far with Tobacco. They will eventually Tax it out of existence. There is a rumbling occuring in some Liberal circles concerning the cost of local gov't picking up the costs of gunshot wounds, so I suppose it won''t be long before the assault on gun prices and ammo start to appear.

Anyway, after I read the article, I started buying extra ammo and picking up every brass casing I found at the range. I also bought reloading components. Not because I needed it, but because I don't want to pay any extra surcharges in the future.

If you start adding in the higher transportation and HAZMAT fees, you can see that prices on just about everything, including firearms, are up to stay. Transportation costs may go down a little, but not much, and you won't see any savings being passed on to you.

As it may take a while before the Gov't moves on Firearms and Ammo with such surcharges, it is not impossible that shooting may eventually cost you $1.50 or $2.00 a shot or more. Even for the common calibers, much more for the exotic (ultra-doodad) stuff.

I hate giving advice on this sort of thing, but if you want to heed this warning, then I would be buying an extra box of factory ammo, or a package of reloading components, or powder everytime you get the chance, even if you don't need it.

As far as a $1000 price tag on a new rifle, I have long expected that to happen, and I don't think it will be long before $1000 is considered 'cheap'. Anything that would be worthwhile having will soon be in that price catagory. Even if the price doesn't exactly hit $1000, it will not be very far from it. And if Inflation raises its head, as it supposed to, $1000 will be a distant memory. It would almost be like me saying I paid $69 for my first new Marlin, when I started my collection with something I could afford.

I may be in the market for a new Featherweight, but I would be particular as to what caliber it is. I have always considered the Featherweight to be the 'prettiest' rifle on the market. I already own one and I will not buy any another rifle before I sell a rifle from the cabinet. And of course, a caliber I am already stocked up for.

They can call it a Winchester but the fact is the Conn plant is closed . That new "M-70" is an FN thats all.
Sad to say but the name alone wont make it a Winchester . Soon they be like Browning out sourcing 100% of its production. Corporate America just doesnt get it . ???

FN owned the old Connecticut plant too, since FN owned USRA. All of Winchester/USRA/Browning/FN is owned by Herstal. It doesn't make a tinkers damn which arm of this conglomerate "owns" what. If any of this bothers you, don't buy one. The new Model 70 is still American made. And, yes, I think the $1000 mark may be the new standard for a production rifle, at least for awhile, until they go up from there!! Get a grip! ;D ;D

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.