Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally settled on what rifles I'll use this deer season. Now I cn start working up loads! ;D

Here they be:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Very nice, but need details of each rifle. I am jealous of you young pups who can deer hunt with an open sight lever gun. ;D

BB

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
I have 3 loads so far, a 360DW in my 357 barrel, a 30/30, and a 500S&W. All will produce ragged 1 hole groups at 50 yards, I have not bush hogged my longer range yet so have not tested them further. Very doubtful any shots will ever go over 150 yards, I don't recall any over 100 yards in the last 10 years or so. I have 4 tags to fill and do not anticipate any problem, just need to empty a bunch of freezer space ;)
More immediate-- Dove season opened today, Teal opens next week. I have a 16, a 20 and a 28 with ammo, a folding stool, small cooler and paperback SF.
After the holiday is past I can start checking stands and clear shooting lanes etc. I LOVE the fall.

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay Tom, from left to right:

1. Pre64 94 in 30-30 my eldest son gave me to replace the one he hocked years ago. ::) It will be last in the line up so I can pick my shot because I CAN'T SEE THE SIGHTS WELL AT ALL!!! smart butt... ;D
2. Rossi 92 in 357 Mag. Shoots 158 gr. XTP's like you wouldn't believe! I carried it during the 4 hours I got to hunt last year. :( #1 in the actual lineup (AL)
3. M99 in 300 Savage I just got. 8) Can't wait to shoot it! #4 in AL
4. 9.3X74R! Another cartridge I always wanted! #3 in AL
5. 357 Max. I've hunted with this one but put it away because I wasn't happy with the load. This year will be different! ;) #5 in AL
6. 30-40 Just because it's a grand old cartridge! And I've never hunted with it. And I have a bunch of 170 gr RNFPGC's I loaded up to play with! ;) #2 in AL
7. 445 Super Mag (TALO Barrel, my bow to Pete) I'll probably use some 44 Mags I already have loaded unless I get time to 'speriment with 445 loads. #6 in AL

When I go down for the opener I'll spend a week or two so I'll probably bring 4 rifles with me. But I only usually carry one to the field. :-\ I used to carry more but the bearers running around hollering "use this gun Bwanna" scared off all the deer! ;D

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mechanic said:
What for the rest?

I was thinking about that Ben. :-\ But even when we had a house full of kids I only tried to get 3 does and a fawn right off then hunted antlers so I'm not really looking to shoot seven.

Hi-ebber, and day is always a hi-ebber, should the need arise I've got a few more rifles that I can limber up pretty quick! ;D Oh! and when I carry the M94 I'll also carry my scoped Ruger Bisley hunter! ;)

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
mechanic said:
Well sir, you have the first seven deer covered well. What for the rest?
I had the same thought in my head, but Mechanic beat me to it - you need 5 more guns in the pic to fill all your tags for the year
There is always Hunters for the Hungry if you need to donate some

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys are KILLIN' me! :eek:

But I do have some others that haven't killed anything yet. :-\ Like the 50-140, I'd love to use that... and on the other extreme I've got those bonded 60+ gr. bullets for my 223. Oops! can't forget the 45 Colt Classic Carbine! And the silver 30-06 and synthetic I set up for my do it all backup rifle hasn't been hunted with either! That's 4 off the top of my head! ;D

Then there's the 270 ultracomp barrel as well as a couple of 35 Rems and 280's that have been laying around amongst others! ::)

I need to get to work... :-\

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Been thinkingl about my line up as well. I usually fill the freezer with my bow, don't know why I have so many guns. But looks like I may be in a cast for the first part of bow. So gunna do more gun hunting than usual. I'm leaning towards the nef 45/70 with peep sight. Or my new to me 357 win 94. But my eyes ain't what they used to Be ,so may have to put a scoped rifle in the mix.

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
burntmuch said:
But my eyes ain't what they used to Be ,so may have to put a scoped rifle in the mix.

I know what you mean... :( I can only see the sights on the pictured 94 if there is a lot of light. When shooting I'm trying to concentrate on the front sight letting the rear align itself Ala peep sight. But as I said, when I carry it I'll also carry the scoped Ruger handgun! ;)

I've got a tang sight to have mounted on the 94 but haven't made it to a g'smith yet. Member Dee put one on his 94 and really likes it.

Also the intermediate relief scope pictured on my 357 M92 is GREAT! :eek: I like it so much I'm gonna have my other 92 (44 Mag) and my Uberti '73 (45 Colt) D&T for the mount and they both have tang sights! ;D

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
The scout scope doesn't really work for me. I shoot right handed ,left eye dominant. I have been thinking hard about a little 2 X scope on the 94. I've got a bunch of 158 fp xtps loaded up, shot real good with iron sights at 50 yards

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
petemi said:
BW, Richard has a dozen native gun bearers so it's not a problem :eek: :eek: :eek:

Pete
Its funny you said that, Thats what I always envision when we are all walking with our guns, that everyone else is my gunbearer. Its a feel good moment.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I think I will take my 45-120 Sharps /Nitro express and try to fill all my tags with one shot.i have a wheat field I can hunt that is usually full of deer. Will wait till i get 5 lined up just right then launch a 500 gr projectile downrange and get busy cleaning :)
George

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.