Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of adding a factory 23" Hornady .17 HMR barrel..
Or should I go Bullberry??
BB is high dollar..
Worth it ?
How does your factory barrel shoot ?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Several years ago I bought a "heavy" barreled Marlin bolt action 17 HMR for groundhogs in Pa's Special Regulation Areas. At first it was really finicky about how I held it using the bi-pod. After Glas bedding and filling in the foreend of the synthetic stock it became a tac driver. That's a Boyd stock in the photo

To date, the farthest shot on a groundhog is 238 yards, (as per my rangefinder), a head shot on purpose. 17 HMR is an inherintly accurate round you'll be happy with. Body shots drop groundhogs out to about 100 yards
IMG_0035.jpg

Reactions: rosewood

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow.. good looking rig you have there!!
Thanks for your reply.
My local LGS, has "one" Savage bolt action rifle.
In HM2 ....
I'm surprised, they even had that.
Everyone is out of everything.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I’ve got a factory 17 hmr in Super 14, and it being a pistol I was amazed at how accurate it really is. I took a coyote at a lasered 77 yards which I was shocked at (I had another shooter with a 22-250 on the ready in case the little 17 didn’t put him down). I think the 17 HMR is a little light for coyote size, but inside 100 yards it will kill them. Mine ran about 25 yards but was dead when the bullet hit he just didn’t know it yet. Exploded the chest cavity and didn’t exit, couldn’t find the bullet to recovery it. Just a mess of jelly inside. Groundhogs and field rats are easy kills, but in East TN it’s hard to get longer than 100-150 yard shot. I use a Tony’s pillar bedded forend on my pistol. While Bullberry is worth the money I think you’d be pleasantly happy with a factory barrel. Mine loves the 20gr v-max loading

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a factory barrel, and am very pleased with it. Shot groundhogs out to around 150 with it and the bullet does not exit on any of them. Close to distant, chest cavity is just a mass of jellied blood and parts and pieces, have not found a bullet yet. I haven't shot it nearly as much as I would like to, especially this summer. I have been down and under the weather all year, (not anything to do with Covid) just some stuff that I inherited and then a bone spur developed in my spine due to a broken back many years ago. Hoping that next year will be better.
Almost forgot to add that groups are less than 3/4 inch, and some much smaller.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have had 3 or 4 factory rifle barrels in 17hmr all were excellent shooters 1 17 Mach II also an excellent shooter. I have a 15" Bullberry 17 hmr with A17 rounds shoots better than any other 17 I ever had.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I had a factory 17HMR 23" barrel years ago. It was boringly accurate shooting paper. I lived in an area that offered no opportunity for squirrel hunting so I sold it.
FM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts