Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a 20 ga. Pardner I bought a couple of years ago, I'm considering sending it in and getting the 44 mag barrel for it as it'll fit the sb1 frame. I'd like to get your opinions on this for those of you that have one, I dont reload so I'd be using factory ammo. From what little Info I've found on the 44 mag its been kinda mixed results. I'd be using this for primarily 100yd and less deer rifle. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
For what it costs to do the factory rebarrel with shipping , fitting ect , I would just buy a new 44 Mag. handi for about a additional $ 75.00 you can have a second gun. Jedman

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Locally I can get one around $240 complete. One small shop has 30 each of the 357 and 44. He sold 60 last year, so he bought that many for this year. Winchester white box is popular for off the shelf ammo ;)

As far as accuracy, You will seequite a few more happy campers than not :)

Lonny

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
I had a "Shikari" model which I bought in the 70s.. I got 2-3 deer with it and a couple years ago, gave it to my grandson. He got a deer with it last year and we just finished checking it's zero last weekend..3 shots touching at an inch high at 50 yards ..will cover most situations here in the eastern, hilly woods.
The .44 mag, from a rifle really hammers a whitetail..

·
Registered
53 Posts
av-doctor said:
I would do it, i love mine, factory ammo only most have luck with win white box 240gr jsp and hornady leverevolution
second that love mine it loves both the winchester and leverevolution ammo

lonny were is that gun store at 357 is hard to find around my area thinking real hard about maxi one out and give the wife the 44 mag

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
lonny were is that gun store at 357 is hard to find around my area thinking real hard about maxi one out and give the wife the 44 mag
It is called Cabin Fever in Scottsburg Indiana. The owner Squire is a real good guy. I have bought ammo and stuffs. Has a variety of guns. Has a range out the backdoor. He is always ready to talk to the customers.
1346 S Bloomington Trail Rd Scottsburg, IN 47170
(812) 752-7105

Lonny

·
Registered
270 Posts
I turned my .410 pardner into a .44 mag "youth" gun and gave it to my son a couple of months back.. .

it is keeping GREAT groups with winchester white box 240gr.. we're planning on taking it on a hog hunt next month.. and this will be his primary deer rifle this year.. he already owns a very nice .243.. but he is keeping extremely good groups with his .44 handi and where we will be hunting his max shot will be about 85 yards.. so he wants to go with the single shot big bore..

Ill be honest.. I built the gun as a cheap project, mostly to entertain myself, and to be able to give my kid what I felt would be a better option for pigs than his .243..

Ive had so much fun with his .44 mag though.. that Im now building an identical rifle for myself (except with an adult stock).. and contemplating a .45-70 as well..

so far its been a great little gun..

·
Premium Member
16,614 Posts
woodchukhntr said:
The one I had shot the in. 240 gr. "white box" ammo well, 1-1/2" @ 100 yd. I replaced it with a Ruger 77/44 that won't even come close to that :(
I had one of them 77/44 rifles and LOVED the "feel" and handleing.. too bad it did not shoot!! 3-4" at 100 was the best I could get.. handloads, factroy all different bullet weights, no matter. I wanted to make it into a 45 Colt!! I sold it off...

CW

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
This one is pretty new to me and I have not wrung it out to see what it will do. Since it is stainless it will be the one I use on rainy days. I hate to take guns apart to dry them out after a hunt. It's not like I don't have anything to use! When I'm lazy, I'll use my 16-1/4" Contender .35 Rem. carbine, ther days I may use my Encore .45-70, Ruger Ultralight .243, CZ 527 carbine in 7.62 x 39, .30-06 Springfield, etc., etc., etc!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.