Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Rem. 700 SS 7mm weatherby mag with synthetic stock and a Leapold 2.5x10 for what I thought was a great buy, $400 bucks, but that is not my question. Need to know what grain you guys advise for Eastern Washington Mule Deer, and why. Thanks in advance.

Britt

·
Registered
320 Posts
Great buy..........When I was hunting over by Tonasket, using my 7mm Rem mag, I used 160 Nosler partition. But, since I have moved here to Idaho, and hunt in Idaho and Montana, I have been using 140 gr Nosler partitions. Your 7mm Weahterby should like more of the same, heavier bullets for the caliber, for example the 140/150/160 gr Nosler partitions.

The longest shot I ever had in North Eastern Washington was maybe 80 yards.

tom

·
Registered
286 Posts
7 MM Wby

My buddy had a Sako TRG in 7 Wby and I have one in 7 STW. They can really "reach out and touch someone", but they let you know when you have touched one off.

PS, you got a GREAT deal. :D

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
I have a 7mm Rem. Mag. and a 7mm Ultra Mag. While I haven't shot my ultra mag yet, I have used the 140 grain AND 160 grain Nosler Partitions on whitetail deer and I don't see a difference. Granted, shots are about 100 yards and whitetail are thinned-skinned animals, but I would think that there might be a difference, but I see none.

Mule deer are classified as thinned skinned game, but are nonetheless generally bigger than whitetails. I have never hunted mule deer, but, from what I have been told, and from what common sense tells me, a heavier bullet would be appropriate. This is not to say, however, that a 140 grain bullet wouldn't work, because I'm sure it would.

I personally like to use Barnes X bullets. They are very accurate in my guns and weight retention is about 100%. I also like the "X" expansion they make. They may be a bit too much for whitetail and mule deer, but if you drop down in weight, they would be perfect. As such, rather than shooting a 160 partition, you could get a 140 Barnes X - BT (Boat Tail) and get super performance.

Of course the most important thing is shoot what's most accurate in your gun. Either way, a 140 or 160 premium bullet from your gun won't make much of a difference. :wink:

Just make sure that you use premium bullets because the super high velocity of the Weatherby simply demands the use of them over the conventional bullets.

Zachary

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Great buy Britt. I use 140/150 gr. Nosler Partitions in my Weatherby. Stay with these and you will never have a reason to complain. Lawdog

1 - 5 of 5 Posts