Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried out my new Traditions 50cal. "Thunder Magnum" at the range yesterday. After cleaning it initially, I fired a couple musket caps and swabbed the bore with a spit-patch. I loaded 90 grains of Triple 7 powder with 240gr. XTP sabot. Man, Was this sabot tight! I had to pound it down the barrel. Next round I got out the BoreButter and swabbed the bore out plus used some more BB on the sabot. Didn't seem to help much.
When I got home, I miked the sabots (they were 0.506" dia.) and the bore miked out to 0.502" dia. Have any of you bothered to check out what the bore diameter is on your 50cals? I'd be interested to know what you find.

Accuracy seemed to be OK, but WOW, is that bore tight! Is there anything I can do to loosen this bore up a bit? Do I need to take J-B Compound to the barrel???? Thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
161 Posts
savage T

From what I've read on other forums, the Hornady plastic sabot is one of the toughest to load. It may have to do with their composition or thickness.... I don't have the foggiest idea.

Supposedly, for magnum shooting (up to 150 grains), the MMP sabots are the best.

Also Supposedly, and according to blackpowder maestro Randy Wakeman, the Harvester sabots work perform good and go down the pipe easier. Here's a link.....
http://www.natchezss.com/icat/p/301f.html

·
Registered
156 Posts
savage T ole hos, umm,ahh,er .....
it could, maybe should be a good idear ta maybe find a little better fit for the sabot to the good snug barrel,than to try to loosen-up the barrel to fit the sabot??
Perhaps a conical bullet instead of a sabot?? What kinda twist does that Thunder thing have??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts