Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I finally got to take out the Tikka to shoot. Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem. The firing pin or firing pin spring appears to be messed up or broken. It barely even scratched the primer on the various ammo I was using. When I compared the "snap" and feel/sound of the trigger engaging the sear/pin on my .223 Tikka T-3 and the .308, it is very apparent that the .308 is very weak.

Is there an easy, do-it-yourself fix for this, ir will I have to send the whole damn thing back for service and wait who knows how long? Anyone have any experience with Beretta service for this type of stuff?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi greywolf2112. I just read this and hope it helps:

To disassemble the T3's bolt, simply rotate it counterclockwise and remove the bolt sleeve. Next, insert a screwdriver into the gap between the bolt body and the tail of the firing pin and rotate it counterclockwise. This takes the tension off the spring and allows the handle to be removed. The pin, its tail and spring can then be withdrawn to the rear as a unit.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
greywolf2112 said:
Today I finally got to take out the Tikka to shoot. Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem. The firing pin or firing pin spring appears to be messed up or broken. It barely even scratched the primer on the various ammo I was using. When I compared the "snap" and feel/sound of the trigger engaging the sear/pin on my .223 Tikka T-3 and the .308, it is very apparent that the .308 is very weak.

Is there an easy, do-it-yourself fix for this, ir will I have to send the whole damn thing back for service and wait who knows how long? Anyone have any experience with Beretta service for this type of stuff?
I would not get all worked up, call Beretta service up and see what they want you to do. I am sure it will be a quick fix. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I took the bolt apart, wiped off what appeared to be a lot of oil from the firing pin, and reinstalled. Sounds and feels like it is smacking things better.

However, one thing I noticed that I guess I just didn't notice before - the safety is NOT engaging like my other T-3.

There is a small hole in the bolt that a oval piece is supposed to lock into when the safety is engaged, but it appears that either the bolt is not coming all the way down to make it so that this oval piece will sit in it, or the bolt was not made correctly (meaning the hole that the oval piece is supposed to go into was not put in the exact, proper place.)

Sigh.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I am noticing is that it doesn't seem that the bolt, when turned down (cocked) is going all the way down. When I pull the trigger, the back of the bolt (what is cocked) moves forward, but NOT all the way - about 2-3 mm is left, but it should snap all the way forward. This might also explain why the bolt isn't engaging the safety.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I figured out what the problem was. I had installed a Ken Farrel 20 MOA base, and one of the screws (the one closest to the barrel) was poking through the metal hole into the chamber, and was causing the bolt to stop just a wee bit too short. Someone must not have realized that that one screw needed to be about 1mm or so shorter than the rest.

I'll simply either need to not tighten that one too tight, or will file/dremel off some of the end of the screw. Everything works now, including the safety - whew!

OFF TO THE RANGE! [:D]

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
greywolf2112, great to hear that, let us know how you make out. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it is working just fine now :shock:

3/8" at 100 yards using cheap British .308 military surplus FMJ.

Uhm . . . . uhm . . . . WOW! :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Great shooting there, sounds like you got a keeper there. :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
This is meant as no offense to anyone, so please don't take it that way....I don't understand why anyone would want to mount a scope on the T-3 using bases of any kind. Why not mount the scope with the supplied rings and be done with it? You have to know that by adding parts you can only complicate the issue. I have 2 T-3's (7-08 and 7mag) and have used the supplied rings on both and both shoot like the pics you posted with factory ammo. Why complicate the issue? Just curious.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Grubbs said:
This is meant as no offense to anyone, so please don't take it that way....I don't understand why anyone would want to mount a scope on the T-3 using bases of any kind. Why not mount the scope with the supplied rings and be done with it? You have to know that by adding parts you can only complicate the issue. I have 2 T-3's (7-08 and 7mag) and have used the supplied rings on both and both shoot like the pics you posted with factory ammo. Why complicate the issue? Just curious.
2 reasons:

1 - It came with 1" rings and I needed 30mm rings.

2 - A 20MOA angled mount allows me enough adjustment for 1000+ yard shooting.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, Norseman. I really felt like I wasn't shooting to my full potential, but I must have been doing something right. I hope to get an even better grouping with some handloads and a better scope. :lol:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Glad the problem was one you could fix without a lot of prolonged heartache. I have a good bit of faith in Tikka, actually in anything made by Sako. That's pretty good shooting. Judging by your target I'd say you've got a keeper there. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks - btw, the people at Ken Ferrel Ind. are AWESOME - they sent me, no charge, more screws that eliminated the problem. Great product, too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts