Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have decided to buy a Tikka T3 Lite to use for coyotes and bobcats, which is all I ever hunt nowadays.

I’m trying to decide on the caliber. Either a .223 or .243. I don’t save hides, so a .243 is fine with me.

But, I recently had complete reconstructive surgery done on my shooting shoulder, and recoil is a concern. For example, my son’s .270 synthetic A-Bolt HURTS when I shoot it. Way too much recoil for me, even though my shoulder has healed all it’s ever going to.

My question is will the .243 in the T3 Lite have recoil similar to the .270?

If the .243 recoil is light, I would rather have it because in my state, during deer season, coyote hunters have to use a deer-legal caliber.

But if the .243 recoil is ANYWHERE NEAR the recoil of the .270, I’ll have to opt for the .223.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
129 Posts
tikka t3 lite

Iwould look at chuckhawks.com, he has a recoil chart there for most calibers. Great choice on the rifle, I've bought 3 of the tikkas and am very happy with them.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Bolt Action Rifles

tenured

My thoughts are since you only hunt coyotes you would probably be better off with the 223 rem. No kick at all and very effective on coyotes.
PLUS cheaper to operate, With Black Hill ammo you will do just fine. and if you load the 223 is about the least expensive of all. Sorry about your shoulder, Good luck.......Joe,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ok TNred...im just throwing this out there......it may not be feasable, but idk.

How about switching from shooting right handed to shooting lefthanded, or vice-versa. Like I said, idk you, so idk if you are left eye dominant, or ambidextrous, or any of that, but if you can learn to shoot opposite handed, you will be able to shoot whatever caliber you wish, w/o affecting your shoulder, correct?

Im just throwing out the idea......I would persnally go with the .223 probably for just coyotes and bobcats. Juts my own opinion, but i dont own either so others may be worth more!? :D

Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
I say go with the .223. It will be lighter recoil on the shoulder. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am not sure about the recoil, but whichever way you go, be sure to get a Limbsaver recoil pad for the rifle. They are by far the best recoil pad on the market. Since you have decided on a T3, You might buy the recoil pad ahead of time and try it on your sons .270 This may help you decide if the .243 will be manageable.

http://www.limbsaver.com/limbsaver/firearms/precfit.aspx

Sorry to hear about your shoulder, but best of luck with the rifle.

Brandon

·
Registered
641 Posts
I am sure the LS pads would be great with calibres 30-06 and down, but I honestly don't feel a difference on my Tikka T3 .338 WIN MAG than with the factory - They both hurt like a SOB! :eek: You can 'feel' the difference, but my shoulder can't in this instance. Their customer service is second to none, too.

·
Registered
127 Posts
t3 question

hey

i have 3 t3 lite rifles in .270 .243 and 300 wsm
havent shot the 300 wsm yet but i can tell you that the .243 is nowhere near the .270 in recoil i love my t3 in .243 it has mild recoil and is very accurate i have a cz 527 varmint in .223 and can tell you that that is a **** of a varmint rig either way i feel you would be fine but as stated before the.223 will be the least expensive to operate
good luck
divr6347 :D :D

·
Registered
677 Posts
Tikka T3 Varmint .223

Sir, my gun weights 9 1/2 to 10 lbs. with scope. If you sit for varmints it is the ticket, if you move a lot it is a too heavy. Not only is there next to no kick at all but I can see the hit in the scope, no barrel jump. Awesome caliber for varmints. Buckfever.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just recently bought a T3 in .270 and I admit that the recoil on the light synthetic stock is more than on a Remington BDL in 270 that I shot a few weeks before. I think you will notice that even in the .243 that the T3 will have more recoil than compared to a rifle with a wood stock or a heavy synthetic stock. I would take that into consideration before you go out and buy a T3 in .243...recoil is always going to vary from person to person. I would not consider myself recoil shy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
T3 Lite Question

Buy it in the 25-06. Shoot 90 gr. bullets for varmints and 115 gr. for deer. You can have it all with very little noticable recoil over the 243.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
TNred said:
Have decided to buy a Tikka T3 Lite to use for coyotes and bobcats, which is all I ever hunt nowadays.

I’m trying to decide on the caliber. Either a .223 or .243. I don’t save hides, so a .243 is fine with me.

But, I recently had complete reconstructive surgery done on my shooting shoulder, and recoil is a concern. For example, my son’s .270 synthetic A-Bolt HURTS when I shoot it. Way too much recoil for me, even though my shoulder has healed all it’s ever going to.

My question is will the .243 in the T3 Lite have recoil similar to the .270?

If the .243 recoil is light, I would rather have it because in my state, during deer season, coyote hunters have to use a deer-legal caliber.

But if the .243 recoil is ANYWHERE NEAR the recoil of the .270, I’ll have to opt for the .223.

Thanks for your help.
First off, your choice of a Tikka is an Excellent choice.

As for the cartridge selection, if the .243 caliber is the minimum caliber that you can use on coyotes during deer season, and if you will hunt coyotes during deer season, then you pretty much answered your own question.

That said, I firmly believe that the .223 is a better choice for small game. Does it kick as much in a T3 Light than a regular weighted .270? No. As you asked, is it anywhere near the recoil of a .270? I don't think so. Keep in mind that the smallest factory load you use in a .270 is 130 grains, while a .243 is normally 100, but in a varmint load it would be about 70 grains, which is about half of the weight for the 130 grainer.

I also recommend that you get an after market Simms recoil pad which will reduce the felt recoil.

Zachary[/color]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts