Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard that Tikka is coming out with a different/improved bolt rifle called the T3. Can anyone explain the differences between it and last years Whitetail Hunter? I'm looking to get a M695 in 300 Win Mag, and am wondering what the differences might be. It sounds like it is a significant improvement, if that is even possible.

Wallace.

·
3,196 Posts
I just heard about it today from Big Tom. He said if you go onto the beretta site and click on tikka, that there is info on them. Sounds like they have a couple of calibers in the short mag catagory.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
I own a Tikka Laminated Stainless in .25-06...great rifle! I don't know anything about the improvements of the "T3." The only thing I could hope for is to change that cheap plastic trigger guard and platic bolt shroud.

Zachary

·
Registered
61 Posts
I own a Tikka all weather SS and love it. Must be post plastic shroud as I dont have that. The T3's have a new action, stock design (no raised comb) and are not open over the bolt anymore. I hope they still have the same angles as my 7MM shoots so softly.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Zachary, what is the barrel length on you 25-06? I was eyeballing that gun really hard, even though it does violate my $500 cap, but it says that it only has a 22.88" barrel. Is that a little short for the 25-06? I thought that the 25-06 needed a minmum of 24" to reach it's potential?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tikka 7MM

Lagavulin
I have a Tikka 7MM Mag SS all- weather on the way, was wondering what ammo. you are using and how small are your groups.
Thank You
Jim

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Grouper,

Yes, you are correct about the barrel length. In fact, all non-magnum Tikkas have 22 1/2" (or so) barrels, and magnums have 24 1/2" (or so) barrels.

Yes, you are also loosing a bit of velocity with a 1 1/2" inch shorter barrel, but you are really not loosing anything. Loose "full potential?" Nah. Many gun makers make the 270 in 22" barrels, or even shorter. Granted, they too loose some velocity, but you won't notice the difference.

Tikkas are accurate as heck. I'd rather loose about 50 fps and gain excellent accuracy any day.

Personally, I do like barrels of at least 24 inches. That notwithstanding, my .270 is a Browning Stainless Stalker (A-Bolt I) with the 22" barrel. I seriously doubt if I, or the deer, notice any difference with a 2" shorter barrel.

·
Registered
289 Posts
On the topic of barrel length vs accuracy vs velocity I came across an article that addresses that very thing. And they cut the barrel of a 300 Win Mag down and tested it as they went so it's a pretty good test.
http://www.tacticaloperations.com/SWATbarrel/
There's one that was done on a 223 all the way down to 10" (wonder if they registered that "short barreled rifle" with the ATF?)
http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html
Made me actually start thinking about what length barrel I really want.
Just when I thought I knew.
:? Helicopter Bill

·
Registered
61 Posts
Jim-y

I had our shooting range warden handload some 160 grain Nosler Partitions since I have yet to get around to buying all of the gear. I easily get 1" groups (or less if somebody better than me is shooting :oops: ) You'll love the gun. Nice trigger, stock design etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
7MM

Lagavulin
I have a Tikka syn blue in .243, it will shoot about 1in with Remmington 100 gr.
I have some 7MM Federal Sierra 165gr boat-tails that i will try in the new gun. Don't load my own so I have to use factory ammo. The 7mm Ruger that I have seems to like the 160gr Noslers.
The things that really impressed me about the Tikkas was the silky smooth bolt and the nice triggers. I also like the detachable mag.
The rifle that I wanted was the laminated stainless, but was told they were discontinued, so I settled for the all-weather SS. I wonder if the new T3 will be as good as the older White Tails or are they trying to fix something that ain"t broken? I guess time will tell. That"s why I am not taking any chances, so I bought the older ones.
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
61 Posts
What I cant believe is how some chat rooms and forums feel that the Tikka is one of the cheapest rifle you can buy.....comparing and choosing a Savage over a Tikka (Savage owners dont get mad, I actually like them) when there is no comparison...hello....Sako barrel and accuracy...
I think for Canadians (myself included) they actually are not as cheap to buy as a Savage. I wish I could purchase firearms as cheap as the U.S. dollar allows!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Tikka's are really not that cheap here either. They are in the same $$$ class as Ruger, Remington and to some degree, Winchester. I think that a basic Whitetail Hunter in walnut and blued will run you in the neighborhood of $500, retail. The Laminate/Stainless is around $600. You could just about buy two Savage's for that!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I must be looking in the wrong places then. The cheapest I have seen them, and this is for the synthetic/blue short action, is about $450. They go up from there. If you want wood, expect to pay $500+. If you want stainless, expect to pay $550+.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Price

I paid $ 800 Cdn that's about $500 US for the 7MM All- Weather Syn Stainless. The .243 Syn Blue cost $720 or about $450 US.

I think you are getting a lot of gun for the money when buying the Tikka.

I don"t think the few plastic parts that some complain about enlarge the groups or hinder the function of the rifle.

Jim

·
Registered
163 Posts
I haven't seen any used. I guess that is a testament to their quality. I'm thinking about selling my M77 (new in January '03) and buying a laminate/stainless Tikka in 25-06

I did a quick search on the net and here's what I came up with, including shipping and FFL fees, for some Tikka rifles. All short actions.

Whitetail, Syn/Blue - 441
T3, Syn/Blue - 496
T3, Walnut/Blue - 548
Whitetail Syn/Stainless - 626
Whitetail, Walnut/blue - 499
Whitetail Deluxe, Walnut/blue - 655
Whitetail Laminte/Stainless - 655

Walmart will special order a Whitetail syn/blue for $450 and a syn/stainless for $530.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts