Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several posts about individuals upgrading their rifles with Timney Triggers. How much difference will the "average Joe" actually be able to tell with this upgrade? Will it make me a better shooter? For instance, I could buy a set of Ping golf clubs, but that wouldn't keep me out of the woods any better than my Dunlop K-mart specials. :-D Is a Timney trigger truly a good investment for those of us who aren't silhouette type marksmen? :roll:

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Is a Timney trigger truly a good investment for those of us who aren't silhouette type marksmen? Yep!

Actually, I say 'yes' without knowing what kind of rifle you have or if the trigger is not as crisp as it should be for decent shooting.

The Timney triggers are adjustable for both trigger pull and 'after-travel' (er, whatever), the two major problems facing riflemen looking for more accuracy. I have had a couple of the Timneys and a couple fo Bold Triggers and the overall changes I have noticed in the rifles I have installed them in is extremely positive.

Whether you are 'just a hunter' or a silly-wet shooter, either a Timney or a Bold trigger replacement should make ya one happy camper. HTH. Mikey.

ps - would you really buy Ping clubs??? My late father-in-law used an early set of those, but he was always hitting into the woods anyhow (lol).

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
A good trigger helps by breaking the same every time. If you practice with it you will get better if you have decent shooting form.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is a Timney trigger truly a good investment for those of us who aren't silhouette type marksmen? Yep!

Actually, I say 'yes' without knowing what kind of rifle you have or if the trigger is not as crisp as it should be for decent shooting.

The Timney triggers are adjustable for both trigger pull and 'after-travel' (er, whatever), the two major problems facing riflemen looking for more accuracy. I have had a couple of the Timneys and a couple fo Bold Triggers and the overall changes I have noticed in the rifles I have installed them in is extremely positive.

Whether you are 'just a hunter' or a silly-wet shooter, either a Timney or a Bold trigger replacement should make ya one happy camper. HTH. Mikey.

ps - would you really buy Ping clubs??? My late father-in-law used an early set of those, but he was always hitting into the woods anyhow (lol).
I am a decent marksman and rarely embarrass :oops: myself at the range. My reasons for asking:

Winchester M70 Featherweight - Heavy Trigger
Ruger M77 - Way too much travel (creep?) before trigger engages

I have downloaded instructions on making adjustments to both of these factory triggers. If I don't get the desired results, I am just wondering whether to make the investment or not.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don't have a single after market trigger, but my triggers have all been lightened and it is a remarkable difference in group size.

Clubs that fit are more important than brand. But new metals go better than old cheap wood drivers! Sometimes it is the wand and not the magician.

pepaw

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I adjusted the trigger on my M70 stainless classic to just over 3lbs and no over travel. A factory M70 trigger shouldn't be adjusted below 3lbs. I also have a stainless M77 that Mr Timney did a trigger job on. At the time he didn't make triggers for MK IIs. The job he did is excellent. Zero over travel or creep and it breaks clean at about 3lbs. The trigger out of the box had more creep than any other MK II I have ever been around.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
dharvey - if you cannot adjust, or have adjusted, the triggers on that Winchester or Ruger to your satisfaction then a new trigger is the way I would go. There is such a difference after the new trigger is installed. I have been very happy with mine. HTH. Mikey.

·
Registered
322 Posts
No need for special triggers on my Tikka's or Sako.....fully adjustable with an allen wrench....takes about 10 minutes max.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I put a Timney on my M1917 Enfield Sporter to replace the military two-stage trigger. The difference is like night and day.

ZM

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Considering that the price of a Timney trigger isn't that much more than what a good gunsmith will charge to lighten up a factory trigger(and in the case of the Ruger "Lawyer" non adjustable trigger) the cost is negligible. Also after your done your Ruger will have an adjustable trigger which adds to the value of the rifle. Lawdog
:D

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
8) Replacing a milsurp trigger with a Timmey will do wonders for the gun. Over the years I have sportrized at least 100 mausers, about ten years ago I started replacing the stock trigger with a Timmey, they have such a smooth let off it helps the accuracy. Most milsurp triggers have too much slop in them. Look at a Swed for example, you can clearly see what a better trigger would do for it. I don't recommend replacing a commerical made rifle trigger, they can usually be worked (stoned) and improved. Just my two cents worth.........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts