Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a jeep wrangler and it's getting time to replace it's shoes. I would like some input on tires that are quite on the highway but able to handle some mud and a little snow. Nothing really aggressive is needed. I'm currently running 255/70/18 tires. I'm mostly interested in quite on highway as that is the majority of where it is driven but would like a bit more aggressive tread than normal street tires.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Falken wildpeak3tw (?). They come off as quite aggressive AT or slightly anemic off road. I’ve got 10,000 miles on mine now. Both commuting and a 3500 mile hunting trip to western CO.

You owe it to yourself to look into these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
For an All Terrain tire.one we like is the General Grabber AT2.Good wear,Low noise and good snow traction.Don't think it would be the greatest mud tire,though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
BF Goodrich AT KO2. Probably the highest rated AT tire on the market. I run them on my F150 supercrew 4X4. Excellent traction in light snow and mud. Not much road noise. I have 55,000 miles on this set and they look as if I'll get another 15,000 before I hit the wear bars. The downside to them is the wet road traction leaves a bit to be desired and they have gotten noisier (but not excessive) as they wear, even though the wear pattern is very even.

Since I drive on wet roads a lot more than snow or mud I will replace then with Michelin defenders when these wear out. If I needed snow/mud capability more than I do now I would buy the BFG's again without hesitation.

·
22,260 Posts
bfg ko ats are never a bad choice. I wanted something a bit more aggressive on my jeep and went with nito ridge grapples. they have wore great and are great in mud and snow. Not as noisy as a mud tire but not as quiet as a car tire. Just a smidge louder then a bfg ko. I owned a set of Goodyear mt/r they go real loud as they got old. But check out a Goodyear duratrac. there a very popular tire up here in snow country. Probably see more of those on trucks and jeeps then all the other suggestions combined. Never owned them but guys say there quiet and have a bit better traction in all conditions then a Ko does. They our the Kos are what id do on a truck that was a daily driver. With my jeep that sees much more off road then my truck id stick with my nito ridge grapplers. They have been awesome so far and sure aren't what I call loud. Now live with a set of bfg mud terrains for a couple years and you will know loud!

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. Wow, when you go to 18" tires they get expensive. It's been quite some time since I bought a tire.

·
22,260 Posts
good tires cost. Go cheap you usually comprise either tread life, traction, noise, strength and in bigger tires balance. I stick with nito, cooper, bfg or Goodyear. Theres other good ones but those are the most popular off road tires. Yup there expensive. A set will run you a grand or more and that's just buying 4.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm running Bridgestone all weather now and they have been excellent as to noise and pretty good getting around but they are close to being ancient when it comes to tire life. I sure don't want to have a tire come apart at 70 mph on that short wheelbased jeep so I think it's time to replace them. I want something that will handle our rare snowstorms a little better though. BFG and Goodyear look good. Got a brother-in-law that's run Goodyear for years on his jeep and a friend that runs BFG's on his 1/2 ton truck and both swear by their choice.. She who cooks has already stated that she doesn't want any cheap, junk tires on it. I could have told her I didn't plan to do that but just kept my silence. She knows I don't buy junk.

I asked the question because I'm not stuck on those two brands and wanted opinions about others.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Had good service from Cooper tires on my personal vehicles and on my company trucks used Michelin LTX's. The michelin's are more money but never had a problem with them on the highway or offroad.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used to run LTX's and they gave excellent service, better than any other tire I had ever used. Then the last two sets, one on my suv and the other on my 3/4 ton truck were so weather checked in three years that they looked like a tire that had set out in the sun for at least 20 years and both vehicles didn't see sunlight unless they were in use. I talked to two different tire dealers and both agreed that they were seeing early weathering and I quit them. Went to Cooper and Bridgestone. As old as these current Bridgestones on my jeep are, they show no sings of weather cracking. Our current suv which is fixing to have it's third birthday came with Michlins and they appear about like new so maybe Michlin fixed their problem. I'm still browsing tire dealers on the web looking for tire ratings but I consider real world experience from the members here more reliable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've had good luck with Yokohama Geolander AT's as well. Usually run Goodrich AT's but had to get these one year.
I rotate every 6,000 when I change oil. Got 80,000 miles from them on a 97 1/2ton Silverado.

Seems to me all of the AT/MT style tires get noisy at the end of life.

JD

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with Empty Quiver. Take a look at the Falken Wildpeake all terrain tires . Extremely quiet on highway and wear great.

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
I have learned that Michelin is cheaper in the long run for highway use. I rarely go off-road. I would use AAA if I needed help.

At my age I don’t drive where I feel uncomfortable anymore. I can walk farther than I can push!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts