Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a full choke .410 that has been drilled and tapped. I want to set it up mainly for slugs. So do I cut the barrel or not and if so how much. I'd like to know what kind of groups you are getting either way. My BIL has a bolt action choke tube .410 (barrel has external threads) and over the chrony the highest velocity is with no choke, this also shoots the tightest groups.

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
i went through that for a while
then i stumbled on one already cut at a great price
it still patterns decent with shot....and it sure is light
and cut another stock i had for the grand kids

my advice....don't cut your only one
get another one

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
45-70.gov said:
. . . .my advice....don't cut your only one
get another one
+1 ^ ^ ^

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Have you tried shooting slugs through your barrel? Most of the .410 slugs will pass through a full choke. What brand slugs are you using? I have the best performance from Brenneke 3" silvers or Lyman hand loaded 160gr.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have another 410 so I have no issue cutting the barrel.
I have shot several brand slugs thru it. I found 2-1/2" Federals (1/4 oz) do the best but none are impressive. I actually dropped about a 140 lb doe at 22 yards with the bead sight and a Federal slug. My BIL's old 60's era bolt gun shoots decent groups with no choke is what got me thinking about cutting the choke off.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
How long is the barrel? If someone did a d&t they may have already cut off the choke.

BB

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bikerbeans said:
How long is the barrel? If someone did a d&t they may have already cut off the choke.

BB
I had it drilled and tapped. The barrel is 22" I think and has not been cut.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Copy. I had a pardner mid-90s vintage 26" full choke 410. D/t for a rail and cut and crowned at (IIRC) 18.5". It would keep 3" brenekke attached wad slugs at about half minute of pie plate at 60 yards. It hated foster style slugs.

BB

·
Registered
315 Posts
If it is a dedicated slug gun, I would cut the choke off, give that slug a straight shot out the barrel. On a 22" barrel you might as well go with 18 1/2"it makes a very handy rig in my opinion. I found as much accuracy difference between 2 1/2 inch and 3 inch shells as I did between brands, don't assume 3 inch is always better....it may be less accurate. Don't discount birdshot and buckshot in cylinder bore, just put in some time patterning to get an idea of range and effectiveness, again different shell lengths may produce very different results. Good Luck!

Scott B.

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
IMO full choke on a 410 makes it less useful and more of an experts gun and it was not the best idea for factories to make so many like that. They are not a long range shotgun anyway.
Id shoot for groups as is, finding what slugs it likes. If still inclined figure out how far to cut to get a modified choke first, then shoot for group again; you may not have to go all the way to a cylinder bore to get what you want.
What kind of sights/optics were you thinking?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 2.5x20 scope on it. I've tried 2-1/2" and 3" 000 buckshot loads and 20 yards is about max for a decent pattern. The best slugs so far are around 5" at 50 yards. I'm hoping for 2" to 3" if I cut it.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
i'd cut it. you could always get it reamed and tapped for tubes later if you think you need it. Several guys on here have built dedicated little 410 sluggers, keep thinkin i want one but don't know why. Probably because I would like to try using the brass hulls and larger diameter slugs or round balls.

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
One 410 SG and one Little Slugger would be a nice yard varmint duo. Grab whichever one suits the need of the moment.
FWIW, my Buck barreled 12 is a true cylinder bore and shoots closer up shot patterns so well I have not put the long bird barrel on in several years.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
I cut mine to 20" and mounted a set of take-off sights I picked up for $6 on it with epoxy works great with my 215 gr. Home made slugs and factory stuff. I'm getting 2" groups at 50 yards with my home made slugs and a little bigger with the factory stuff. You could have it sent to Orlen to have trulock chokes installed then you can use a cylinder bore for slugs or a different size for other things like small game or turkeys. Mines very versatile at 20". ;)

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
^^^yeah, that^^^
Were it mine Id probably put that WGRS peep on the back and glue on some glow-worm front. Its a close range proposition and would feel really good. Kinda like the American Rook & Rabbit Gun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.