Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To port, or not to port? That is the question.

I have a 5 shot Bisley Blackhawk in 480 Ruger. It has a 6 inch barrel and it is not ported, nor has any kind of recoil reducer on it.

With factory loads it's a pussycat to shoot. But when mixing H-110 and 380gr bullets it's a whole new ballgame when it comes to recoil. I know is should be happy with the 325gr, but I want a little more.

Any way, what is you guys advise on porting? Pro or con. And what brands of porting or recoil reducers do you like?

Hud

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you really want to ported your Bisley Mag-Na-Port 2 port is the best

See links one for general porting on handgun the other on conversion and porting with costs

http://www.magnaport.com/hgun.html
http://www.magnaport.com/conv.html

pro : porting will make your handgun more easy to handle even with hot loads and heavy bullets

con :
-porting will make your hadgun very noisy
-if you hunt with porting gun wear hearing protection it is more comfortable
-you can have leading smoke after firing in your face because of porting
-porting will damage a little bit the barrel if you shoot light bullets with hot loads, flames will go out the porting and damege the barrel

My best advice to reduce recoil is to wear shooting gloves like Uncle's Mike shooting gloves, if you don't use it, buy it to know if you need to get a porting on your gun. Just my 0.02 cts.

·
23,973 Posts
personaly I dont care for them. To much noise!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I will try some shooting gloves first. I don't want to have it ported and then wish I hadn't.

The worst part of the heavy recoil is due to my hand position. My fingers are real long To use my finger tip to pull the trigger, it places the middle knuckle of my middle finger right behind the trigger guard. That knuckle is what really what gets the abuse.

I could use the area between my two knuckles on my trigger finger to pull the trigger. This would move my whole hand on the grip and it would also line my wrist up better behind the gun. But this is not the way I shoot any other guns and I don't want to develop a bad habit with this one gun.

So that is really the problem. Do any of you have a remedy, short of lopping off the end of my trigger finger?

Thanks
Hud

·
23,973 Posts
I have a permently swelled middle nuckle after a while it wont hurt so bad :)
Hud said:
I think I will try some shooting gloves first. I don't want to have it ported and then wish I hadn't.

The worst part of the heavy recoil is due to my hand position. My fingers are real long To use my finger tip to pull the trigger, it places the middle knuckle of my middle finger right behind the trigger guard. That knuckle is what really what gets the abuse.

I could use the area between my two knuckles on my trigger finger to pull the trigger. This would move my whole hand on the grip and it would also line my wrist up better behind the gun. But this is not the way I shoot any other guns and I don't want to develop a bad habit with this one gun.

So that is really the problem. Do any of you have a remedy, short of lopping off the end of my trigger finger?

Thanks
Hud

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lloyd Smale said:
I have a permently swelled middle nuckle after a while it wont hurt so bad :)
Oh Man! That's not the answer I wanted. That's my good nose picking finger. Need to keep it flexable.

Somebody should invent some shooting gloves with padding on that knuckle. :idea:

Hud

1 - 7 of 7 Posts