Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really surprised but I shouldn't be. We are unaware of our own biases and the judges in this case were clearly biased.

I had not heard of the Rem 7615 - I'm GLAD they got that part right.

Appeals court rules New York, Connecticut gun control laws constitutional[/color]
[/color]http://www.guns.com/2015/10/19/appeals-court-rules-new-york-connecticut-gun-control-laws-constitutional/

A U.S. Appeals Court upheld that gun control laws passed in New York and Connecticut following the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School do not violate the Second Amendment.
The
57-page ruling [/color]released Monday specified that laws prohibiting large-capacity magazines and features commonly attributed to assault weapons in New York and Connecticut are constitutional.[/color]
----------- follow the link for more ----------[/color]

there are some good comments following the article.

[/color]

·
Super Moderator
11,143 Posts
Important to note the "clarifications" of the ruling...underlined emphasis added:​
We hold that the core provisions of the New York and Connecticut laws prohibiting possession of semiautomatic assault weapons and large‐capacity magazines do not violate the Second Amendment, and that the challenged individual provisions are not void for vagueness. The particular provision of New York’s law regulating load limits, however, does not survive the requisite scrutiny. One further specific provision—Connecticut’s prohibition on the non-semiautomatic Remington 7615—unconstitutionally infringes upon the Second Amendment right.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Land Owner, I read that a couple times. I haven't got time to dig into the finding more and don't know if I could read or understand the "legaleze" and I'm glad they didn't find the 7615 appropriate to ban. But how can they object to the load limits of New York yet support the large cap magazine bans? Seems strange to me.

Also, "assault rifle" ban holds but doesn't extend to all other semi-autos?

Seems like they are picking and choosing. - But I don't want to encourage them to ban more guns....

Hope some lawyer type will chime in with an interpretation of the legal goop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts