Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daytime temperatures consistently above 90° F or night time temperatures consistently above 75° F create all kinds of stress for tomato plants. ... Heat stress not only slows down your plant's progress in producing, but it also makes your plant more vulnerable to diseases and pests.

Does this run true for you more western or southern gardeners? Our temps here have been consistently over 80 for several weeks and I think I have a lot fewer blossoms on my tomatoes so I was just wondering.

Longwinters

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
In central KS we have had many days of 90-96 for highs with most nightly lows in the low 70s with a lot of humidity and some timely rains. So far our plants are doing well and producing quite well. Mulch several inches deep for about two feet or so out from the base of the plant appears to help quite a bit. Thoroughly soak the mulch in the morning and it helps cool the plant a bit through the day. I find that grass clippings work better than straw but have to replenish a bit more more often.
GuzziJohn

·
Registered
366 Posts
Here in central Texas ours slow down considerably above ninety degrees. We always plant cherry tomatoes to get us through during the high temps and the bigger varieties will start making again in late Fall.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Only time mine get stressed is when I forget to water . I never had any trouble with heat here in zone 8 unless I let the soil dry out . check your planting zone to see if your variety is recommended .

·
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m in zone 4. So consistent temps over 85 is hot here. All my garden plants are for short seasons as our growing season is 4 months

1 - 5 of 5 Posts