Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Puma 44mag with a ported barrel.....The noise makes it uncomfortable to shoot. Is there anything other than ear plugs that can quiet this down?

If not, I may sell it for a non-ported gun.

i

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
How about several wraps of duct tape around the ports?

-WH-

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Seal the ports with JB Weld? :eek:

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
duct tape will blow out and JB Weld may create accuracy problems by getting into the bore.

I have a Winchester Timber Carbine in 444 that is very loud with its ported barrel. I think your best bet, ther than having a sleeve made to cover the ports, is more ear plugs. JMTCW. Mikey.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Now I never said it was a good idea! ;D

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
If it bothers you that much, have a gunsmith tap threads in the ports and locktite some short, headless, filler/setscrews in the holes - flush on the outside and not protruding into the bore/rifling inside.

·
23,095 Posts
1 cut the barrel off behind the ports
2 sell the gun and buy a non ported one
3 live with it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Why would anyone port the barrel of a 44 long gun? The recoil is nothing a good recoil pad can't easily handle. Sounds like someone was working on the wrong end of the gun. My2 cents sell it and get a non-ported gun. If recoil bothers you on that one have a limbsaver put on it. It solved my wife's problem on our Marlin 44.

RJ

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wear the best roll up ear plugs you can find, then put on some good 29 db muffs. It will help. Used to double up on a 10" barrel 223 I owned. It was a ear splitter.SN

1 - 9 of 9 Posts