Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short Peter almost scored again. I put this shorty .357 Maxi together for my Grandson. I took a 16.5 inch barrel with its frame and put it on a youth stock set. I scoped it with a 4x32 Bushnell Banner. When I finished, I said to myself "Self, is that too short?" Out came a tape followed by the yard stick. It's barely legal. 30 and a sixteenth!!!! Whew!! The moral of the story is if you're gonna use a youth stock, make sure you cut that barrel no shorter than 16.75.

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Pete
Nice looking gun. He'll be proud.
If the length is going to bother you just put on a recoil pad on the stock instead of the plastic one. That way the game n fish boys won't have such a small margin to measure.
Splitting hair kind of thing.
Tom

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good question. I thought it was 30 here in Michigan.

Tom, he needs the youth stock. Let them split hairs. It does measure a full 30.......if the wood doesn't shrink ::) ::)

There was a bill here in Michigan to change the legal overall length of a rifle to 26 inches to coincide with Federal Regs. It passed and went to the Governor for signature. I don't know if it is signed.

Pete

·
Registered
279 Posts
Pete,

From my recollection, MI used to consider anything under 30" a pistol, while the feds call it 26" This allowed the loophole for "MI pistols" where a shotgun or rifle could be carried loaded and in a vehicle under a CPL if the OAL was under 30", but not require a SBR/AOW stamp with the feds in the 26"-30" range. A few (5?) years ago, they redid the state definition to align with the federal one, eliminating this class of firearms in the state.

Long story short, and I'm not a lawyer, MI follows the feds now and a rifle must be over the 16" barrel, 26" OAL.

Terry

·
Registered
668 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
Glad you're legal Pete.......or at least the rifle is. Isn't it a shame we even have to worry over this stuff? Will a 25" gun kill any deader than a 30"? Most of this stuff seems stupid to me. I can have a snub nose pistol which is very concealable but not a 25" rifle.....

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
I knew there was something "wrong" when I read the thread title... "TOO SHORT".... ::) ::) ::) :-[ ;) ;) really?

Is that like a girl that TOO cute or when you have TOO MUCH $$... ??? ??? ???

cw

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
cwlongshot said:
I knew there was something "wrong" when I read the thread title... "TOO SHORT".... ::) ::) ::) :-[ ;) ;) really?

cw
ha! :D i was about to post that there were pills available for that now. . :D

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uh, Hmmm, Huh, Pills Huh?

Ya know, that's a Handi looking little rifle. I may have to borrow it back from the kid this winter when I'm in two pair of long johns, two shirts, 2 sweaters, 3 pairs of socks, 2 pants and insulated coveralls. It may be short enough to reach my shoulder. :eek: :eek:

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
(k) "Short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having 1 or more barrels less than 16 inches in length or a weapon made from a rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.
(l) "Short-barreled shotgun" means a shotgun having 1 or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or a weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

as it reads currently.. Pete it looks like your ok ;)

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
I can't wait for George to reply to this thread. ;D :D

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
mechanic said:
Glad you're legal Pete.......or at least the rifle is. Isn't it a shame we even have to worry over this stuff? Will a 25" gun kill any deader than a 30"? Most of this stuff seems stupid to me. I can have a snub nose pistol which is very concealable but not a 25" rifle.....

Yep, is doesn't make sense at all. Especially that a rifle can have a 16 inch barrel but a shotgun must be 18. Then you can have a "pistol" AR but if you put a stock on the same gun it magically becomes an evil short-barrel rifle. Makes no sense. Unfortunately I don't know of any effort to get this stuff changed. All the current focus today seems to be on background checks and magazines.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
As usual Dinny has provoked the kind loving genital nature of my self! I have been contemplating a congratulatory note as to the sheer perfection of my dear friend Peter's latest project.Well done my friend Short Peter!

Just a word of advice my friend, beware of the "pills" At your age they can be dangerous to your self or livestock if you remain "Taller" for more than 4 hours
George

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
craigster said:
IIRC, the Randy Weaver/Ruby Ridge standoff started due to Weaver possesing a shotgun with a barrel 1/16" short of legal.
No it started because some fed deliberately miss measured a shotgun he cut down for another person...

Now back to this discussion... Muzzle breaks are cheap on eBay and one would get you the couple inches you need. I put one on my .300BLK and it's not at all unpleasant to shoot with the break and it helps with the sawed off look of the rifle.

Tony

1 - 18 of 18 Posts