Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing that Field and Stream had the top 50 shotguns, I thought it would be interesting to see what we thought were the top 5 shotguns of all time. There are no categories. Just what do you think are the top 5 shotguns of all time?

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
The reason for the randomness of the article was probably because a shotgun is only good if it fits the user's purpose well. There are also a lot of over rated and under rated shotguns through history. It came off as a bad article.

·
Administrator
26,167 Posts
I think I'd say the Remington 870, Remington 1100/11-87, Remington 32/3200/K32/K80, Winchester M12 and the Browning Superposed/Citori.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree with GB, except I think we should make it the top 6!! The Beretta 686/687's have got to be in there somewhere!! ;D ;D

·
Registered
394 Posts
Let me see, A. H. Fox, Parker Bros. Lefevers, Ithaca, and L. C. Smith, not in any particular order. Please excuse my bias for SxSs

·
Registered
348 Posts
Interesting, in a prior post I stated that there had not been much innovation in shotguns. A review of this post makes it pretty clear that there are not a lot of new innovative shotguns in the top 5 or 6 "of all time" which includes modern times. I took a some grief over my comment. Maybe the new innovative shotguns just aren't that impressive.

·
Premium Member
3,517 Posts
Or maybe it's a mature technology. There is nothing that a modern pump does better than a Model 12, but there's nothing a model 12 does wrong. There is no real room for improvement. Benelli improved the autos, but the technology was there. Pumps and doubles are pretty much a final product and have been for years.

You took grief because people couldn't figure out what it was you wanted in a gun, and it looked like you were complaining about the choices available without having any actual reason for improvement.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I took grief mostly due to attitudes that cnc machining and overseas manufacturing had greatly improved the selection of great shotguns. My additional point wast that innovation was in modern pricing. Ok, if shotgun technology is mature, think I'll shop for a mature shotgun with a mature price as opposed to a modern price.

·
Registered
28,628 Posts
browning A_5
rem. 870
rem 1100
win. model 12
win super X 2
have hunted with all and all worked !

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
BROWNING A5
REMINGTON 870
WIN 12 or the 1300
any good SxS
any good SINGLE SHOT

By the term ( any good ) I mean one that patterens well and points true to aim!

LONGTOM

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
I think the Benelli SBE should be in there. Shoots all 2-3/4 to 3-1/2" mag shells. Easy to dissemble and clean. Screw in choke tubes. Recoil not gas operated. Very few parts.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
A really nice one is a W.W. Greener side by side box lock each and every one hand made Pricy rascals but great shotguns.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
I must agree with popplecock, When you talk about the top shotguns, that pretty much limits the discussion to the great american doubles. JMO Byron

·
Registered
28,628 Posts
Greatness is in numbers ! number made - number of shots on hand - number of shooters who love um !
think pumps and autos !

1 - 20 of 49 Posts