Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an H&R topper with 20 Ga and 219 Zipper barrels. It exhibited light strikes and misfires. In trying to check it dry firing the firing pin broke. Have the pin, spring and hammer spring on order. From Numrich, not the Wolff spring. I removed the old firing pin, no issues. However, I am not familiar with removing the hammer and replacing the hammer spring. I have searched and can find no descriptive on removing and replacing the hammer and hammer spring. Is there someplace there is either a Youtube or can someone explain the steps and what to watch for? I understand the pin arrangement and drifting them out right to left, etc. I reviewed the video of the exposed view but could not determine the steps to remove the hammer and hammer spring.

In doing the testing there was a distinct difference in sound when there was a cartridge chambered and the empty chamber. With an empty chamber the hammer was definitely striking the frame. There is no transfer bar on this firearm. With a cartridge chambered the hammer did not strike the frame. This indicated to me that the hammer spring was weak and not that the firing pin was too short.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried searching and looking through the FAQ's and could not find anything walking through how to remove and reassemble the hammer & hammer spring. Tried searching on everything I thought could apply as well as just walking through them. Several showing breakdown views, but nothing that was an actual disassembly of the receiver.

·
Super Moderator
51,491 Posts
Welcome! See the Trigger Work section of the FAQs, Perklo's download has excellent instructions for a modern frame, biggest difference is the vintage hammer spring has two legs(double coil) and is built a big different, and there's no trigger extension to deal with since there's no transfer bar. The vintage frame has a rebounding hammer, so it doesn't strike the frame like modern frames.

Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.