Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All rifles are different this we know but some do prefer a certain projectile. Is there any consensus what bullet the the H&R hornet shoots best with, both weight & style of projectile
Thanks
John

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
45 gr soft point is the standard for the hornet and the only bullet I've shot through mine. PPU ammo is the least cost option and has been very accurate for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
45 gr soft point is the standard for the hornet and the only bullet I've shot through mine. PPU ammo is the least cost option and has been very accurate for me.

I have some PPU ammo my picatinny rail should arrive in a day or so, I have a lot of those winchester 40 grn hp's that are used in 22 mag ammo they a cheap and worked well in other hornets so will try what's on hand, I also was given 35grn Hornady vmax

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Also depends on what Hornet you have. If it's one of the older one's it will have a 1-16 twist and a .221 bore .224 bullets won't work well . I have found that the Sierra 40gr Hornet .223 bullets are about perfect I use Lil gun good to about 100yrds not nearly as accurate as my 5mm though. Mine is a Topper Model BB prefix. The Sierra Hornets are flat base soft points. Kurt

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mine is a 158S I believe has a companion 20 gauge barrel and was bought as a set, from s/n I believe 1976

·
Premium Member
16,568 Posts
Before I rechambered mine to a K, it really liked the 35g vmax and lil gun. One of the few loadings where I liked lil gun. But after, its groups was now patterns. BUT, 40g Noslers with 4198 and 1680 shot bug holes! 50g Sierra HP & V-Max also shoot very well. Again 1680 powder. Actual powder charges are up to you to prove.
Ol school Winchester 46g HP bullets I bought back when Midway had them by the bag still shoot great too. Both my 218's shoot them very well too.
CW

·
Registered
192 Posts
My Handi is one of the newer ones with the 1 in 10 twist. While the PPU ammo does shoot well, My hand load of a hornaday 55 gr soft point over a moderate amount of AA 1680 is outstanding. Bout 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards. Just got some Winchester 64 gr soft points and am going to see iffin I can get them to group. Should be bout right to pop a hog or a small deer here in Arkansas.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Handi is one of the newer ones with the 1 in 10 twist. While the PPU ammo does shoot well, My hand load of a hornaday 55 gr soft point over a moderate amount of AA 1680 is outstanding. Bout 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards. Just got some Winchester 64 gr soft points and am going to see iffin I can get them to group. Should be bout right to pop a hog or a small deer here in Arkansas.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't know what I did there but its consistant with how my day has gone so far lol. Thanks for the tips i'm gathering a heap of ammo from mates so will be able to assess what what works, means more time at the bench so not all bad

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
JoseBob you sure yours is 1-10 twist? Just haven't heard of that before maybe a 1-9, or a 1-12? If it's a 1-9 you may be able to get it as high as 69gr with a real hot powder case life will probly suffer though. I bought some Blackhills 69gr reloads emergency purchase on PD shoot for my 1-9 .223 and they shot very well. Kurt

Reactions: JoseBob

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Johno5mm Hornady makes a .222 40gr Jet bullet I use those in my 22 Jet basically same bbl as my old Hornet. Kurt

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think mine would be 1-12" being 1976, Kurt have never seen that bullet down here, some .223" a buddy had a hornet similar vintage to mine and shot the 35 grn Hornady well

John

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Basically same soft point flat base as .223

·
Registered
192 Posts
JoseBob you sure yours is 1-10 twist? Just haven't heard of that before maybe a 1-9, or a 1-12? If it's a 1-9 you may be able to get it as high as 69gr with a real hot powder case life will probly suffer though. I bought some Blackhills 69gr reloads emergency purchase on PD shoot for my 1-9 .223 and they shot very well. Kurt

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes... Sorry it is a 1 in 9 twist. I was distracted while typing. You know, wifey honey do's like now! lol anyway sorry for the confusion it is a 1 in 9 twist.

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
John I ran across these today. I would be surprised if your Hornet was 1-12 being it's a 1976 my BB 1985 is a 1-16 as is my Rem Jet 1973 but I would need to look to verify yr. Kurt
20210626_015549.jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Never seen them here they look great might get my friend to post some over. I think most hornets are 1-16" thought I read it on here the earlier H&R hornet was one 1-12" I will measure and be certain

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A little update S/N begins with AP=1976 and just measured twist at 1-16". So I am guessing either 0.223" or 0.224" don't think it will make any difference

1 - 20 of 24 Posts