Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The local Sports Authority has several composite stocked. they are a package deal ....Bullets, starter etc. For 65 bucks. Anyone have experience with these...50 cal. My idea is to get for a youngster to start him at the bottom in muzzleloading. I personally have had real good success coaxing hunting accuracy out of cheap muzzleloaders. Would Green Mtn. barrels fit this for a combo gun deal?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I bought a traditions flintlock in 1999. It is a good starter muzzleloader. Mine has a 1:66" twist. It shoots PRB's in 2" at 50 yards and Short conicals about the same.

The lock on mine seems to have slown down over the past few years. I don't know why. When I first bought it I could not spot the time lapse between the when I felt the trigger trip an when I heard the bang. It seems more and more noticeable every year.

I went cheap when I bought the flinter because I wasn't sure I would even get the thing to shoot well enough for me to be comfortable shooting at deer with it. I found muzzleloading to be like reloading, only in a barrel and not a brass case. On the whole I am happy with the purchase. If I ever live anywhere where I get to hunt with my muzzleloader I will probably by a higher qality gun.

John

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sure,,at $65 ya cain't go much wrong canya :D .

I got the Trad. Springfield Hawkin for my boy.
Like Rummer said, the locks are stamped out parts and tend to be a little rough. I just dis-assemled the lock and stoned all the burrs off and smoothed things up a bit and it works fine :wink:
Same thing with the bore,,it needed a 100 strokes worth of polishing (easy enough).
Those composite stocks tend to be real light in the butt area,,but I've heard of fellers adding about a 1/2 pound of nuts and bolts inside there, then keeping things secure with that expanding foam spray insulation stuff.
Ta get a young'n started?? Heck ya! Go for it! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts