Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I have my camera set up on a logging road currently, I can drive a ATV up to it . My camera takes 30 sec. videos , got a coyote on video coming down the road when he reached the spot where I stepped off the ATV to check the cam , he done an abrupt about face and got gone . I know he caught my boot scent and became alarmed . Don't think a camera would hold any scent . But I have had a couple of does walk up and take selfies . Did they smell it or hear the video filming I don't know but they don't spook like they do when they get a whiff of human.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
i no longer have any cameras.
they were stolen. :(

imo, the scents that would put a deer on alert are things
they wouldn't smell normally. gasoline or oil on boots or
clothing, human food odors, tobacco, cold drinks, gun
solvent or oil, etc.
i know i can catch a whiff of those things at times at places
where they aren't normally in the air, so i know a deer can.
now whether or not it will spook one is the luck of the draw.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Ranger99 said:
i no longer have any cameras.
they were stolen. :(

imo, the scents that would put a deer on alert are things
they wouldn't smell normally. gasoline or oil on boots or
clothing, human food odors, tobacco, cold drinks, gun
solvent or oil, etc.
i know i can catch a whiff of those things at times at places
where they aren't normally in the air, so i know a deer can.
now whether or not it will spook one is the luck of the draw.
I think they hear some audible sound in the cam that maybe only detectable to them . Some will walk right by and others will stay back and stare right dead at the cam and then move on. Had a couple walk right up and stick their nose to it . Made for a funny pic all ears & eyeballs.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
i have that same experience, some deer key right on my cam , stand and stare at it. then some deer will not even notice it at all.

it seems like more the cam is working ( taking fast pictures or video ) they will notice it more that if the picture delay is long or no video is being taken.. i have one of the new dark flash / no light camera's, i dont know if that helps or not

i think they hear or see it long before they'd smell it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts