Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking that I'm checking traps to early and it's costing me. I'm checking them early because I'm catching coons in my coyote traps. I'm trying to avoid them chewing out. Also, I go to work at 6am. So I start checking them just a little before 4am. I work til 4pm and then have time to check the rest of traps. What do you guy's think?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I know a lot of guys check traps in the wee morning hours- but for canines I think you are there at "prime time" on many days. I never did like checking traps in the dark, and quit doing so years ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Talking about being out foxed Geeze

Sry know post is old but couldn,t help replying. i myself start checking my traps at 4 in the morning and on two seperate time's i've pulled up to this perticular field and low and behold, 4 fox are running around the field just having a ball and had just started working the set. Thought nothing of it at first but, after the second time Something upstairs said hey dumb dumb your here too early. So i switched my route around and started checking that field last. Two days later bagged my first double of red's. Sry to ramble just thought i needed to share.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Interesting thought, but sometimes its unavoidable. I too have a full time job...most days i go in at 8am but some days its 7am....and it dont get light right now till 6:45am....i hate checkin in the dark cause I know I have spooked animals a time or two, but sometimes thats all ya can do. Someday Ill quit for good...but till then, I guess Ill buy more batteries for my headlamp.

By the way, anyone heard from RASCAL??????
Tim B

·
Registered
114 Posts
Due to employment considerations sometimes it's necessary to check traps in the dark. One season while working in Washington DC and living over in Virginia I was running a fox line comprised of all springhole or water sets in the early evening after work. Whenever I made a catch I'd just hang the trap and drag up in a nearby tree until Saturday when I'd be free to properly remake the set. It wasn't the most ideal trapline situtation I've ever been in but it was either that or not trap. I chose to trap.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is what has happened. First and most important, I have a great wife. :grin: She and my 3 month old son are checking some of my traps after the sun comes up. She will shoot the coyote and leave it. She says that she is not strong enough to get the coyote out of a #3 montgomery that has been 4 coiled with beefer springs :eek: . After work i come back get the coyote out and remake the set. she has been great. She has caught 34 coyotes since she started after this first post. she tells me how she rides high in the seat to see if there is a coyote in the next trap. I keep telling her "I told you this was fun".
I just wanted to share.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts