Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a trapdoor in very good condition. Is a 1200 fps load with 3031 safe to use tailored to a 400 or 500 gr bullet?

·
Registered
120 Posts
3031 and Springfield Trapdoor/45-70

hiram,

THIS IS A BLACK POWDER CARTRIDGE RIFLE FORUM!!!!!

Smokeless powder loads are not recommended for use in any Black Powder Cartridge Rifle.......... Especially a 132 year old rifle.

Don't care what Lyman or Accurate Powder (now Ramshot) recommends in their reloading manual.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hiram
If you find a copy of Spence and Pat Wolfs book on making original cartridges for the Trapdoor Springfield you will find a load that duplicates the original smokeless load developed by Springfield in 1898 that uses IMR-3031 and the 500 grain government bullet.

Regards, Dave

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hiram,

You will find that 64 gr of Swiss 1-1/2 will get the same velocity of the original BP load using the 500 gr 1881 (NEI) bullet. You'll also discover the accuracy is far superior to the 3031 load, or any other smokeless load. Trust me I've tried all the smokeless stuff. I get sd's of 4 with BP and a SOLID 2-3 moa at 400 yds. The old warhorse won't come in much better but it is very reliable. 3031 powder has click fire igntion and will not bump up your bullet. Get back to the black.

TL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts