Graybeard Outdoors banner

trapping

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Fatcatbuster 
#1 ·
i am looking for a place to trap lots of beavers....i live in pa..and love to trap beavers but there are not many around...

#2 ·
:D I see you are from southwestern Pennsylvania and most of SW Pa is in furbearer management area zone 4. You are permitted to to trap 10 beaver a season in zone 4. I don't know if you consider 10 beaver to be a lot of beaver or not. Cheer up!!! I live in zone 6 where we are only permitted 6 beaver a season. However I do not know where 6 beaver can be found in my area. The season on beaver is now open and runs to March 31st.

#5 ·
Beavers

If you want alot of Beavers, go to N.E Penn. like wayne county and catch them now because the Pa. Game Commission wants them gone. When I started trapping beaver back in middle 80's, there were beaver everywhere in Tioga, Potter, Clinton, Lycoming, Bradford counties.

Every trout stream had dams every mile or so and they were trapped hard and the limit was 3. It quickly went to 5, then 10 and now you can catch 40 in each county if you can find them. They are becoming non-existent and they are very hard to find. PGC used to post dams and give them a chance to recoup but not the case anymore.

Before long we will have more otter than beaver. Thats just my opinion but I could be wrong.

#6 ·
Come to Southern Maine. Ive seen lots of sign while i was land trapping and deer hunting.there doesnt seem to be much interest in Beaver around where i am. Ive told local trappers but they seem to be busy with the other day job. I did try it a few years back ,i fell through the Ice and wont go back.Maybe if i had a partner ??

#8 ·
Thanks for the Info, i havent paid any attention to the laws. I probably would if i set some traps. I hate those green coats with badges kinda suprises. Its not the same excitement i get looking forward to checking the next trap set. Know what i mean....?? I like to do the catchin part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.