Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the 1.5-5x21 scope on the .35. I had it on a .308 I used for a woods rifle. The whelen will be better for elk. Stole a little time and got to the range with a box of Fusion 200 gr. Other than scoping myslef first shot, went well. I am undecided about spending the effort to reload with the cost of working up a load for a gun that will do little target work. OTH, it is fun to find a different bullet. I did fire form one 06 case with cream of wheat ; resized in a .25 die as I cannot locate my 30 06 die right now. Perfect form. I put the 4-12 back on the .308, that is what it came with. I will now change it to 150 gr. from 180 as it is not the perfect elk gun anyway. I really need to save some money and get better glass for it than the no name Dicks special. I found that the bull barrel measures 22 instead of 24, but is not the same contour as my other handis. Must be a special run of some sort.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
All the 35's are wonderful calibers.

Everyone should have a few. :)

The Whelen really accells with big bullets. I like a cast 280 GC RN and I have a stash of Speer 250 RN bullets. These are awesome!

I also have had excellent results with the 225g accubond bullets and RL15 powder.

CW

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a Whelen that I put together from the barrel accessory program a few years ago. It shoots the 200gr FTX hornady over Varget extremely well and was very, very easy to develop a load for.....although not so easy on the shoulder! I'm sure I could have done well with factory ammo in it, but I'm stubborn and like to load for everything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts