Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my remington 700sps .300wsm finally arrived. before i trick it out i would like to adjust the trigger a little bit. is there anywhere you can go on the internet or does anyone have photos they could share explaining how to adjust the 700 trigger? i have an older 700adl that was adjusted some years back and the guy acted like it was quite simple.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
trigger adjustment question on remington 70

On the diagram below you will find three screws that adjust the three aspects of a trigger pull, pull weight(#46-trigger adjusting screw), overtravel(53-trigger stop screw) and creep(48-trigger engagement screw). Adjust the stop first. turn scrfew in until the sear won't release. then turn it out until the sear just releases. Add 1/4 turn move to allow for tempurature extremes and crud in the works. The pull weight can be lowered by backing out the appropriate screw. This decreases the tension on the trigger return spring. I reccomend no lighter than 2 1/2 to 3 pounds for a hunting trigger. Sear engagement is a dangerous thing. Too little and the rifle will not be safe as the tempuratures fall. I usually suggest taking that to a competant smith.. All settings should be locked with a drop of nail enamel or locktite dropped on the screw head.. The rifle must be thoroughly tested for safety after each adjustment. Being absolutely sure the rifle is empty of cartridges the bolt should be opened and slammed shut as rapidly as possible.. Also the rifle butt should be slammed to the ground quite hard. The striker should NEVER fall. Test after each adjustment and if the striker falls, the rifle is dangerous as the trigger sets.. Also it must pass the pull test. Again with a totally empty rifle move the safety fully to the on safe position and pull and release the trigger firmly. Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times.... then move the safety to the off safe position. The striker must NOT fall. If it fails to pass this last test, it is dangerous and should be returned to remington(the warrantee is void now as we worked on the trigger) or to a competant smith sor evaluation. The reigger enganement function of this trigger is accomplished via a small piece that Reminton calls the 'trigger connector (#47). It is not under spring tension and it's action may be affected by excess oil or dirt. If it is the rifle may fire when the safety lever is moved to the off safe position. The trigger is easily adjustable but if you make a mistake it can become unsafe.. use only dry lubricants on the trigger mechanism and clean with a solvent spray...
Now the disclaimer-I in no way advocate the adjustment of this or any trigger by the untrained. Sorry but legal issues must be addressed.

http://stevespages.com/ipb-remington-700.html

·
Administrator
26,085 Posts

I'm of the opinion that folks who have to ask shouldn't adjust any of the screws except the pull weight adjustment screw. The bottom one in front. More unsafe triggers and safeties result from folks who don't know what they are doing trying to adjust the others than any other problem with Remington rifles.

I personally adjust only the pull weight unless after doing it I find the trigger pull to be unacceptable which I hardly ever do. On a new R700 VLS I bought for an upcoming prairie dog shoot I made only this adjustment and the pull is near perfect even for varmint shooting.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

thanks for the info fellows. all i really want to adjust is the pull weight. i like everything else about the trigger.

·
Registered
319 Posts

My gunsmith tells me Remington has made changes to their triggers recently. He could always get them down to 2lbs. or slightly less. He says
they won't go below 3lbs currently. I like a light trigger pull since most of my shooting is at the range from a bench. I don't know if he's mistaken or Remington's lawyers are setting the trigger pulls. They may be good lawyers but make lousy gunsmiths. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts