Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new RCBS trigger pull scale the other day, and did some checking on some of my guns. I have a couple of Bisley's in 45 Colt. One pulls at around 1 lb, the other at around 1/2 lb. I should mention I've installed wolfe trigger and hammer springs in both of these pistols. I think the 1/2 lb is too low. What's a pull weight to shoot for? I am thinking 1-1/2 lbs would be about right. I try to set my bolt rifles up at 2-1/2 lbs.

Thanks, Tom

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
trigger pull

I don't think a single action revolver, to be used in CAS competition should have a pull less than 2-1/2 pounds. It's hard to "feel" a trigger less than that in rapid fire situations, and can lead to AD's on the line.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I go with Flint on this. Too light can lead to alot of grief. 2-1/2 to 3 lbs is fine for most peoples' ablilty to feel.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed on the trigger pull weights. Just to clarify, I don't compete or shoot in CAS events, these are revolvers I use in the field plinking and hunting. I am going to reinstall the original hamer springs and see what that does.

Tom

·
22,367 Posts
If your reading it right and your trigger pulls are really that low those guns are dangerous. I have all my triggers done by someone that knows what hes doing and he refuses to take them down below three. Try giving the hammer a rap with a rubber or wood hammer Im betting it will fall.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, the one stainless bisley is as you describe. After I replace the stock springs tonight, I'll repost and let you know what happens. The blue bisley doesn't fall, but needs to be tightened up a little. The only thing done to these pistols was the replacement of the springs (by me) with Wolfe springs.

Tom

·
22,367 Posts
its only a matter of a short amount of time before the blued one will do it too.
tominboise said:
Yup, the one stainless bisley is as you describe. After I replace the stock springs tonight, I'll repost and let you know what happens. The blue bisley doesn't fall, but needs to be tightened up a little. The only thing done to these pistols was the replacement of the springs (by me) with Wolfe springs.

Tom

·
22,367 Posts
I guess I have a hard time understanding why people buy these spring kits when for only about $75 some like Dave Clemments will do your action properly so the trigger pull is about 3 lbs no creap and will even slick up the way they cock. Its the best money youll ever spend on a gun.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I reworked my pistols, and now have 4 blackhawks with ~3.0 lb triggers. As an aside, I did learn that one can replace the triggger return spring and hammer spring, without pulling the grip frame off the revolver. Anyway, I will have to go shoot these and see how they feel.

In response to your comment, Lloyd, some of us like to learn about these mechanisms and how they work. Your statement is well founded, but not applicable to everyone. I have tended to dive in, perhaps too far sometimes, when it comes to working on my guns and my cars. But, that's all part of the fun.

Best regards, Tom

·
22,367 Posts
nothing wrong with your thoughts I have just learned many years ago that Im all thumbs and when I want a trigger done I want it right. Found out that im a lineman not a gunsmith.
tominboise said:
Well, I reworked my pistols, and now have 4 blackhawks with ~3.0 lb triggers. As an aside, I did learn that one can replace the triggger return spring and hammer spring, without pulling the grip frame off the revolver. Anyway, I will have to go shoot these and see how they feel.

In response to your comment, Lloyd, some of us like to learn about these mechanisms and how they work. Your statement is well founded, but not applicable to everyone. I have tended to dive in, perhaps too far sometimes, when it comes to working on my guns and my cars. But, that's all part of the fun.

Best regards, Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts