Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bass Pro Fall Hunting Classic is every year here at the Bass Pro in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (actually Dania Beach). Anyway, I noticed in the flyers the week before that they were selling Winchester M70 Ultimate Shadows Stainless for only $449, and they normally sell for about $750. That's well below wholesale. Heck, it's not everyday that you get a rifle for a $300 discount.

Truth be told, another gun in my collection is not foremost in my mind, but I just can't resist a really, really good deal.

As most of you know, my favorite rifles are Tikkas, Sakos, and Remingtons. However, I own several Winchesters and they have all proved to be very fine rifles for me - every bit as accurate as my RemTikkos :) . Of course I have great affection for my new Kimber montana as well.

All of the $449 guns were WSM or WSSM cartridges. I already own one .270WSM and two .300WSMs. I don't currently own any WSSMs, but then again I'm not really excited about any of them. The .223WSSM is about the same as the .22-250. I really have no use or find any fancy about the .243 WSSM as I already own a "regular" .243, and the .25WSSM is the same as the .25-06. Then again, the .300WSM is about the same as the .300 Win Mag., as well as the 7mmWSM to the 7mm Rem Mag, but for some reason I try to justify the WSMs more than the WSSMs. :grin:

Okay, so the bottom line is that I decided to buy the 7mm WSM. Why? Is there a need for such a rifle? No. Is there any real advantage to it over the 7mm Rem Mag? No. So then why did I buy it? Two reasons....actually three:

1. I like collecting various cartridges, so the 7mm WSM is a new addition for me.

2. I usually buy a new gun every year at Bass Pro.

3. The price was really just too low to pass up. Heck, I could probably put it on gunbroker and sell it and make $200 bucks easy. (Of course I won't because I just hate departing with my rifles. :) )

Now, the thing is this. I handled two exact rifles and I was not really impressed with the action. On my three other M70s the actions, even out of the box, they were/are much smoother than the ones I handled today. I should pick up the gun in about 5 days (the waiting period is longer in Broward County) and give you guys a more detailed impression after I inspect it a little better.

Zachary[/color]

·
Registered
120 Posts
Zachary,

I live over in Naples and after seeing the sales flyer I decided to drive across Alligator Alley and buy one of the $449.88 rifles. I bought my 270 WSM Ultimate Stainless on Saturday.

I already have a beautiful Winchester FTWT in the same caliber (270 WSM) and haven't even had a chance to fire this one, however, I couldn't pass up a bargain like this.

I deer hunt in Alabama and Georgia so for me a 270 WSM should be perfect. It seems like the 270 WSM is the most popular short mag by far and has gained a reputation for accuracy.

I think you can't go wrong....go ahead and get that 7mm WSM!

Have you been pleased with your other Winchesters? How well do they shoot?

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 4 Winchester M70s - all stainess. One is a .300 Win Mag with BOSS, it shoots 1/2" groups with PNC 180 grains Barnes X. My .338 Win Mag shoots 225 grain Barnes X within an inch, and my .375 H&H Mag (although customized a bit) shoots Plain Jane Federal 300 Grain Hi-Shock bullets into less than 1/4" at 100 Yards!!! :eek: Yup, that's .25". I also have a .270WSM that shoots 150 power points into a little less than 1" at 100 yards. So I expect my 7mmWSM to also shoot 1MOA or better.

Yea, I guess you could say that my Winchesters are accurate. Then again, my Remingtons, Tikkas, and Sakos are just as, if not more, accurate.

Thank goodness I have never had an accuracy problem with ANY of my rifles.

BTW, although the .270WSM is definately more popular than the 7mmWSM, I personally think that the .300WSM is the most popular out of all the WSM lineup.

Zachary[/color]

·
Registered
399 Posts
You guys are lucky. The Bass Pro Shop here in Missouri always runs bunches of bargains in the circular. Then, I drive an hour to get there and they never have any of the bargains left. I am pretty fed up with this scenario. The last three years this has happened. There are some great prices in this lastest circular. I really like my Cabelas store that is 2 hours away, but a bargain is a bargain! :)

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Deerman. Have you tried calling them and having the item put on hold for you? This is my common practice and have had very good luck in doing so. Not only with Cabelas and Bass Pro, but I find it works just about anywhere.

If for some reason I cannot make it out at the time I specified, I'll call them and explain why and if I know I can visit the next business day, they will usually hold the item until them. If I cannot make the next business day, I usually will not impose on them any longer and politely thank them for the kindness.

Thanks

EVOC ONE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts