Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I had nothing better to do, so I decided to refinish the stock on my 223 bull barrel Handi.

I stripped the factory finish off with stripper and sanded it smooth with 600. Then I "whiskered"
the wood till it was smooth. Then I stained the wood. I let it dry overnight and started laying on the Tru Oil.
I sanded it with 400 in between coats. Somewhere around the 7th or 8th coat the grain began filling in and
the wood really started coming around. I ended up putting about 15 coats on the wood. Call me crazy, but
I prefer the shiny finish the Tru Oil gives vs rubbing it down afterwords with rottonstone or other compounds.
It's not show quality perfect, but it does look way better than the factory finish. It's a hunting rifle after all.

I am no woodworking expert by any means. I have a lot to learn about working with wood. Metal is what
I work with mostly. I'm a machinist. This project wasn't that hard to do. It just takes time, patience, and elbow
grease.

Robert

·
Registered
338 Posts
They look really good, I sold ten ring a set that i refinished with true oil, the grain was not as nice as yours, but they still turned out alot nicer than the factory finish.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Nice Job...You did a real good job there...and that is some real interesting grain in the stock...

Mac

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Very nice job. I like it a lot. I have never worked with Tru oil. Will it always have a gloss? I have never worked with Linseed oil also could someone fill me in on this finish also? Like I said a very nice looking stock. Dale

·
Super Moderator
51,330 Posts
Nice work, Bob!! I've been using Tru-oil for as long as I can remember, great stuff, easy to work with and get great results. ;)

Tim

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
A really nice looking stock ... you should be proud. Tru -oil is good stuff.

bjm

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the kind words fellas! The more I play around with these Handi's the more I like them!
I have ordered a Pachmyer Decelerator recoil pad for this rifle. I know I don't need it for the 223, but
I plan on getting 308 Win and possibly 30-06 barrels in the future. Besides the factory recoil pad isn't
the best looking or working one available. I also have brass and bullets on order from Midway. I am really
looking forward to working up some loads for this bad boy!

Robert

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Wow, that grain is awesome. I finished my SKS with TruOil, but it just soaked it up like a sponge.

Just be sure to take it off before sending in for another barrel.........I have gotten chips or dents each time that I send mine in.

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
H&R does hide some nice wood under that gunk that they call a finish . ??? :eek:

stimpy

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used the kit from Birchwood Casey that has the stain, Tru Oil, and Stock Sheen. The stain is water based. The instructions tell you to cut it with water 50-50. I can't argue with the results, but when you apply the stain it hardly looks like it "stains" the wood at at all. I might try a different brand of stain on the next project. If you look close you can see where I goofed up by sanding through the stain around the end of the stock by the recoil pad. There is a kind of a bright ring there. :p I guess the cure for that is using a sanding block instead of "free handing" it withsandpaper. That is where I am having problems. When there is a raised area or at the end of the stock it is real easy to get heavy handed and not follow the contour and sand through the stain to the wood. There must be some trick or special flexible sanding block to get this done correctly. I rub the Tru oil in with my bare hands. Afterwords you can see some streaks from this, but when it sets up they pretty much disappear. You live and learn I guess. This is my second attempt at refinishing gun stocks. I did my Marlin 336 30-30 a couple of months back. All in all, I can't complain. I think it is pretty presentable and light years ahead of the factory finish.

Robert

·
Registered
343 Posts
Mighty fine-looking Handi! I've used Tru-Oil for a long time, always with good results. I do remove the gloss with fine steel wool or one of those sanding sponges. What kind of stain did you use? Lately I have used Varathane oil-base stain. Just gave one of my 10/22s and a Savage bolt action the same treatment. It's nice to reshape and refinish these less-expensive guns' stocks -- makes them individual to the owner, and like you found out, sometimes there's pretty grain under the factory finish.

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
HT

Your right about H&R needing to do a better finish , but that may never happen so we will just have to do them ourselves .

So far i have stripped down 4 sets of Handi stocks and re-finished them with great results .My latest is a set of Pallet Wood Lams for my new 25/06 that i stained in Red Oak and so far put 3 coats of Tung Oil on , still needs about 2 more coats .

On the other side of the coin , some i have just had to paint because they were just butt ugly . :eek:

stimpy

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
It is also true that the wood that is most pleasing to the eye is not the best for hunting but I would rather have a nice stock with a few "charactor marks" than an ugly stock

1 - 20 of 25 Posts